1967 Dodge D100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Heh.

That's from a class on assembly language I took in college. If you initialize all your memory to the hexadecimal number 0xDEADBEEF (or some other value that stands out when you look at it) it makes it easier to find certain bugs.

I've often wondered where your screen name came from. I thought you might be a rancher for awhile.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should rename it Monkey ...

So the ol' \6 is still hanging in there. I got the manual choke to work again so all it takes is full choke, 2 pumps of the gas pedal and it lights right off even after sitting for a week. The idle is much higher with the choke on so definitely an intake leak, probably the carb gasket.

The wiring is the next thing to tackle. The alternator isn't charging and I am 75% sure I have it hooked up correctly. I have no power whatsoever in the cab but I can't see any broken or missing wires. I chased the + cable from the battery through the bulkhead and it goes up the instrument cluster of all places. I found a wiring diagram and it does appear it is supposed to go to the ammeter. So I'm guessing if the ammeter is bad or maybe not grounded you get nothing to the fusebox, which is what I am seeing. I guess the next step is to pull the cluster out. I may ditch the ammeter and run a new fusebox with modern fuses and such without having the battery cable run into the cab.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found a wiring diagram and it does appear it is supposed to go to the ammeter. So I'm guessing if the ammeter is bad or maybe not grounded you get nothing to the fusebox,
FWIU, on older Mopars, the alternator charge wire goes through the "full Flow" Ammeter to the battery. It's not grounded. YMMV

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't chase the charge wire but I can see it goes through the firewall, so I bet you are correct. It makes sense that it has to sit between the charge wire and + cable to get a reading.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The alternator isn't charging and I am 75% sure I have it hooked up correctly. I have no power whatsoever in the cab but I can't see any broken or missing wires. I chased the + cable from the battery through the bulkhead and it goes up the instrument cluster of all places. I found a wiring diagram and it does appear it is supposed to go to the ammeter. So I'm guessing if the ammeter is bad or maybe not grounded you get nothing to the fusebox, which is what I am seeing. I guess the next step is to pull the cluster out. I may ditch the ammeter and run a new fusebox with modern fuses and such without having the battery cable run into the cab.
This is why most cars have voltmeters instead. An ammeter is much more informative, but when they eventually go bad they (usually) cripple the vehicle. I'm curious if someone bypassed the ammeter on yours to feed the ignition, or if the ammeter is good.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I could tell it's connected, but it's hard to see up there. Ignition is running off battery power only right now. It did have some weird wiring under the hood and a toggle switch of unknow function under the dash, so maybe you are right.

I've had to clean the rust off a bunch of assorted electrical connections to get things to work, so it could also just be that.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
This is why most cars have voltmeters instead. An ammeter is much more informative, but when they eventually go bad they (usually) cripple the vehicle. I'm curious if someone bypassed the ammeter on yours to feed the ignition, or if the ammeter is good.

Isn't there also a fire risk? Seems like that's been mentioned here before..... full power running through the dash?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikereynajr