1951 Chevrolet One Ton!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So we've had this in our family since the 70's. Its a 1951 chevy 3800, its got an inline six swap from a 62? chev i think. And the body is from a 1952.. yes very mis matched. not a spec of rust, custom build interior from my grandpa, it was used on the farm as a grain truck and then retired.. now im 18 and graduating in june.. i want to have this beast looking and running fine.. so last year i rebuild the starter and rebuild the carb and she was running awesome! put about 200 kms on it. today i went out and started it and it wouldnt even turn over.. the battery has 11 volts, and the starter + wire is getting the same voltage, so i checked both points on the solenoid and there both getting voltage as well with they key on so now im stuck as to where to go from here.. rebuild the starter again?!? hopeing someone would have a bit of insight to these inline sixes as im more mechanically inclined with brand new systems and direct fuel injection newer vehicles... so my immediate plans are too get it running hopefully right away, get the exhaust leak fixed, replace valve cover gaskets (leaking onto mani) and get a chrome valve cover to spruce it up a bit, change all the oils. previous to last year it sat in a coverall in a swap for close to 20 years and after the carb rebuild, starter and brake lines she started up and drove right out after me having to tow it outta the muck.. also planning on getting new rims, and i allready have some nittos for it just need rims. thanks for looking, any help on the no start problem will be appreciated ill try to keep the progress updated as much as i do stuff to it!
You must be registered for see images attach

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
11 volts sounds very low, my 96 pulls 12.6 when shut off. Unless it has a 6v system

Sent from my Vortec powered HTC One M8

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
11 volts sounds very low, my 96 pulls 12.6 when shut off. Unless it has a 6v system

yea i know its a bit low, but i also had the charger on it and 14 volts then, and it had a 6 volt system before but it has been converted and we also tried to boost it as well.. but thanks!

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
Maybe it has a bad ground? Check and make sure all your grounds are perfect

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe it has a bad ground? Check and make sure all your grounds are perfect

hmn your right im going to have to get under there and check to see how that ground is on the starter.. i was grounding my multimeter at the battery so i know that ground is good

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well all she needed was a new battery and off she went and ive been driving it everyday! also upgraded the front parking lights to LED's

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
That's awesome! What motor is that? The LEDs look sick too

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
think shes a 235.... and yea i might get halos for it as well. undecided on that though.
I don't think halos would look right on a truck of that vintage. But that's just me, maybe it would look cool, can't know until it's done! I think a company makes LED headlights to replace the sealed beams of that size that would really brighten your night driving and look pretty cool. In the end it's your truck and you do what you want to it, and make it to your taste!

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think halos would look right on a truck of that vintage. But that's just me, maybe it would look cool, can't know until it's done! I think a company makes LED headlights to replace the sealed beams of that size that would really brighten your night driving and look pretty cool. In the end it's your truck and you do what you want to it, and make it to your taste!

yes ive been looking at those LED replacements.. they actually make a lot of them because its just a generic 7" round headlght.. just not sure what i want to go with yet, either way one of them is really dim so they do need replacing