14 bolt 9.5" sf detroit locker 4.88 yukon gears.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, i am in the process of installing a detroit locker in my 14 bolt. I am installing new 4.88 Yukon ring and pinion. Now, yeasterday, when i went to install the carrier in the diff housing, the yoke is hard to turn at the three oclock position then it gets fairly easy to turn. I have 0.0005 backlash (almost none). I only have the spacer on the drivers side and the adjuster nut on the opposite side. Now, common sense would tell me that I have to decrease the ammoint of spacing on the drivers side but I can't since i only have the factory spacer on that side and no shims. When i installed the carrier, i left the caps off, tightened the spanner nut to snug then three turns as per the gm manual, should I be going tighter?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Three turns or three notches? Three full turns past snug is A LOT. Also, that spacer is a shim, just a large one. If you have 0.0005" backlash, you need to use a thinner shim. Backlash should be 0.006"-0.010" for that axle.

You need a carrier shim pack for that axle. Did you also use the factory pinion shim on those 4.88s?? Did you even order an install kit with your gears? If you didn't, stop what you are doing and order a shim kit at least.

As mentioned in your other thread, read this:

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190110

Last edited:

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya, I meant 3 Notches...:doh2: The problem I am facing now is, despite have the right backlash, 6 thou, this is my contact pattern at 53 thou on the pinion gear. It seems a little high towards the face of the gear.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

If I put 30 thou on the pinion, the contact is way towards the top and when I go to 80 thou, the contact pattern is just a slim line which looks to be in the centre of the ring gear. I've played with this for 8 hours today trying to get the pattern centered between the root and the flank of the ring gear but this seems to be the best I can get.

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
30, 53, 80... Where are you getting these shim thicknesses from? What was the shim behind the factory pinion? Do you happen to have a pic of the pattern with the 0.030" shim?

That 0.053" pic is too deep.