12200411 PCM swap for 1996 to 2000 GMT400 trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so first problem. Just started to unpin the used 0411 plugs that i bought from Blackbear and for some reason i don't understand there are no gaskets included with the plugs.
Think it would be ok to run without the gaskets till i can get some here next week?
I will not be getting wet at all im more worried about vibration.
Should be fine. Are you talking about the big orange ones that go around the whole connector? I might have an extra set I could drop in an envelope for you. Probably only take a day or two to get to you from Oregon.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got it changed and not a single miss pin i believe!
I just did it one wire at a time and one plug first. Choose your color and go for it. VERY easy!
Now the only problem i seem to have is the CMP. Code P1336.

Went to my buddies shop as he has a Snapon, Solis pro so no problem right.
When we first hooked it up and started the reading it was at -29. C**p how was it even running. Seemed to be running pretty good i though.
Shut it off and loosened the distributor, Fired it back up and the closest we can get it is -6 and now the #2? plug wire is hitting the intake manifold.
I figure with the old black box pcm it could have been correct but maybe it was off?. I never checked it as it seemed to ran fine but i always did think it was under powered but never really put much thought into it.
At some point someone before me changed the intake manifold gaskets. Upper and lower.
So now im wondering if the new 0411 is reading cmp properly? Is the Solispro working properly? Are we doing the test right? When who ever put the distributor back in did they get is 1 tooth off and the new 0411 is reading properly?
Too many questions and i don't know where i should start first.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When who ever put the distributor back in did they get is 1 tooth off and the new 0411 is reading properly?

You might look at this thread:

Here (attached below) are the instructions for installing the distributor. This is from the 1998 GM service manual.

The CMP Regard Adjustment instructions are given too, but are relevant to the stock ECU.

I haven't verified, but I believe I've read that if the "CMP" is not correct the fuel injection method defaults to batch fire.

The ignition timing of course isn't a function of the distributor's position, so if it's "off" a bit the CMP may not be correct but the ignition timing's unaffected.

At the end of the day, at least two things are desirable:

(1) The CMP Retard is within spec, and

(2) The tip of the rotor is immediately adjacent to the corresponding post on the cap, i.e., for the cylinder which is to be fired. Rotating the distributor this way or that, to set the CMP Regard, would preferably align the rotor with the proper post on the cap... but it's something you might check all the same.

Keep us posted on how your 0411 swap goes...

Attachments

• GMT400 distributor install - CMP - retard adjustment.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding P1336 "Crank relearn", here's what said in the 1998 FSM for the 7.4L (there may be other information for the 5.7L etc. engines).

Attachments

• Crank re-learn 7.4L 1998.pdf
    154.1 KB · Views: 4

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So i guess i need to turn the dizzy 1 tooth clockwise. I find it so odd that it ran fine the way it was being a tooth off and the dizzy sitting in about the middle of the adjustment and never had a code before swapping to the 0411 ecu.
ATM the closest i can get is -6 because the cap is hitting the intake.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I moved the dizzy 1 tooth clockwise and it was just as bad but in the + direction reading +32 and was hitting the regulator so could not turn it further. :wtf2::mad:
Thought dang i had moved it two teeth. So back in i go and move it back counterclockwise 1 tooth for sure.:grd:
Now im back at the original -6 and the dizzy is hitting the intake :suicide:

Reaction score
Since we have a new 96 up Vortec subsection, I thought I would make a new post.

The 12200411 PCM can be installed into the 96 to 2000 GMT400 trucks simply by repining the PCM connector terminals. The wiring is slightly different between the 96, 97, and 98 to 2000 trucks. The 0411 PCM has a much faster processor than the Black Box PCM and has dual timing tables. There is also more support from the tuning software companies for the 0411. EFILive and HPTuners both offer "Custom Operating Systems" for the 0411 to support boost and or nitrous. The swap can be completed in about 2 1/2 hrs and is fairly easy to do. If anyone is interested in the swap just PM me your e-mail address and I will send you a copy. I will not post the files to the web.

Jeff
I sent a pm to you. I'll send another with my email address.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I moved the dizzy 1 tooth clockwise and it was just as bad but in the + direction reading +32 and was hitting the regulator so could not turn it further. :wtf2::mad:
Thought dang i had moved it two teeth. So back in i go and move it back counterclockwise 1 tooth for sure.:grd:
Now im back at the original -6 and the dizzy is hitting the intake :suicide:
Often the gear has to be rotates 180* on the shaft in this type of situation. I had the same problem, and when pushed to -4 it was good enough to leave alone. Then updated to coil packs to remove that feature

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i will need to try that but i was tired of effn with it today.
Would not mind changing to the 8 coil pack setup but right now im sure it's more than i can handle right now.