12200411 PCM swap for 1996 to 2000 GMT400 trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alexisobs95

Reaction score
What is meant by a "regular programmer"? At bare minimum you're going to have to get VATS disabled, and that's if the PCM is directly from an Express van with the 5.7. Otherwise you're looking at least at putting a base Express tune on it. Either way, you'll need someone with EFILive, HPTuners, or LSDroid + TunerPro to set it up before installation if you want it to work as soon as you're done with the repin. Then you'll need a scanner with bidirectional controls to do a crank relearn once you have it running.
What I mean a regular programmer is those whose reprogram car keys or when you change your Pcm he just reprograms it that what I mean by regular programmer could he make my truck run and just tell him what I need done or will he know ?

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is meant by a "regular programmer"? At bare minimum you're going to have to get VATS disabled, and that's if the PCM is directly from an Express van with the 5.7. Otherwise you're looking at least at putting a base Express tune on it. Either way, you'll need someone with EFILive, HPTuners, or LSDroid + TunerPro to set it up before installation if you want it to work as soon as you're done with the repin. Then you'll need a scanner with bidirectional controls to do a crank relearn once you have it running.

how important is it to do the crank relearn? Will the truck run well enough to drive to the tuner? Or will it need to be towed?

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
What I mean a regular programmer is those whose reprogram car keys or when you change your Pcm he just reprograms it that what I mean by regular programmer could he make my truck run and just tell him what I need done or will he know ?
I'll be honest with you. You'll come out cheaper, more knowledgeable, and have the experience to handle other engine mods if you get hp tuners and do it yourself.

Think of it this way, if you're doing this then you probably have some other engine mods planned for the future. You can either sink the cash now and do it yourself. Or pay someone to retune it every time you change anything about your engine.

Pm me and I can set you up with a base tune you can flash onto it to get you running.

Sent from my Samsung S20 using Tapatalk

Awest623

Reaction score
how important is it to do the crank relearn? Will the truck run well enough to drive to the tuner? Or will it need to be towed?
Honestly it depends. The crank relearn is just setting the misfire algorithm to that specific engine.

You could be perfectly fine, you could get a random misfire code, your torque converter might not lock up, it might not Rev higher than 4,000 rpm, or it might not stay running at all. Any or all of those situations are possible.

Now it's highly unlikely that it'll be undrivable without it and it definitely won't hurt the engine (might overtemp the trans with a long trip and no torque converter lockup).

Know your risk tolerance. I'd recommend doing a crank relearn before driving. But if you don't: pay attention and see if the torque converter is locking up, if it isn't then keep an eye on your tranny temps

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Most scanners can do it as long as they have bi-directional capabilities, so just about anyone can do it.

Chayce Helms

Reaction score
Hey lextech. Im new here. But im lookin to do some real big changes to the 5.7 in my 96 gmc sierra. I know i have to tune it to run right. So i was lookin into doin a 0411 swap. I have the pcm and connectors. Im just unsure whats next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Awest623

Reaction score
Hey lextech. Im new here. But im lookin to do some real big changes to the 5.7 in my 96 gmc sierra. I know i have to tune it to run right. So i was lookin into doin a 0411 swap. I have the pcm and connectors. Im just unsure whats next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Scroll up

Zach97z

Reaction score
Since we have a new 96 up Vortec subsection, I thought I would make a new post.

The 12200411 PCM can be installed into the 96 to 2000 GMT400 trucks simply by repining the PCM connector terminals. The wiring is slightly different between the 96, 97, and 98 to 2000 trucks. The 0411 PCM has a much faster processor than the Black Box PCM and has dual timing tables. There is also more support from the tuning software companies for the 0411. EFILive and HPTuners both offer "Custom Operating Systems" for the 0411 to support boost and or nitrous. The swap can be completed in about 2 1/2 hrs and is fairly easy to do. If anyone is interested in the swap just PM me your e-mail address and I will send you a copy. I will not post the files to the web.

Jeff
Hi my email is [email protected]
I have a 1997 l31 5.7 k1500 I’m wanting to do the pcm swap. Do you have the spreadsheet? Thanks and it is automatic 4l60e.