12 gauge amp wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know why you would want to solicit opinions and sound advice and then do the exact opposite... but to each their own.

Current draw is also going to be related to the load as well as the crest factor of music being played on the system. The in-box impedance minima and maxima determine the load on the amp.

Also going to be a factor is how the gain is adjusted or (mal)adjusted, you may be pulling more power than the amp is designed for continuously if the gain is set too high and run into clipping.

It is also possible to pass more than the fuse will normally allow for short bursts, the same can be said of circuit breakers. The fuse is there to provide safety in the event of a short circuit condition.

Makes since thanks for the info

Tapatapatalk

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well thanks for the info from everyone..I'll be selling my scrap copper and gong to radio shack to see if they sell the proper wire..sucks cause I sold My k1500 with 15 ft of 4 gauge I think...left it under the carpet getting all my stuff out...sorry I'm a stubborn *** just needed some other views on my situation..thanks again

Tapatapatalk

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Go to amazon.com and search for amplifier installation kit.

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I were you I'd just save money and buy an amp wiring kit, then you know its specifically made for an amp. Don't do the twisting of 4 wires to makeup for thickness, I mean on my surround sound ive connected multiple speakers to one port but i used a connector to join them, even still if you dont want to risk having a fire burn your truck up don't do it, get the right amp wiring kit.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Dont buy an amp install kit waste of money just get so heavy wire and use that much cheaper

sent from my outdated S3

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I were you I'd just save money and buy an amp wiring kit, then you know its specifically made for an amp. Don't do the twisting of 4 wires to makeup for thickness, I mean on my surround sound ive connected multiple speakers to one port but i used a connector to join them, even still if you dont want to risk having a fire burn your truck up don't do it, get the right amp wiring kit.

I'm surfing the Web now..all I need is power wire..4 gauge maybe a 25 foot kit just to have extra..I have everythingelse

Tapatapatalk

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok...can I use this 12 gauge solid wire to run from my amp to my sub? Sorry in advance for my stupidity

Tapatapatalk