10K possible with a 4.3 and NV3500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, looks like the NV3500 was only installed in light, compact trucks (Dakota and S-10) and 1500/Light Duty 2500 full size CK trucks and Dodge Rams. I can never understand the whole "LD" confusion, but I seem to recall those were the 6 lug axles, not the full 2500 8 lug. I have no idea if said 6 lug axle was 10 bolt or 14 bolt?

I had a 91 "light" K2500 ECSB. Nice truck except for the NV3500--replaced under warranty. Second one died at about 160k, that one started making noise at 285K. Sold the truck. I kept careful track of the oil in that trans and kept it changed, didn't help.

The light 2500's in the early years became the heavy 1500's in the later GMT400's. It was a 1500 with a 14 bolt SF axle, the 2500 drum brakes, it's own spring rate, and a larger diameter driveshaft. The rest of the truck was a 1500.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I occasionally pull 6k with my 1500. That's all ill be pulling with it. I've towed enough weight properly, big rigs and dually pu's. I know what right feels like as well as wrong. That much weight behind a half ton 400 is sketchy af. Completely dumb to dump a bunch of money into it just to do the work of trucks that can do it easily. And as has been mentioned, if someone locks up the brakes in front of you, or isn't paying attention and pulls in front of you, you're ****** legally.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
I occasionally pull 6k with my 1500. That's all ill be pulling with it. I've towed enough weight properly, big rigs and dually pu's. I know what right feels like as well as wrong. That much weight behind a half ton 400 is sketchy af. Completely dumb to dump a bunch of money into it just to do the work of trucks that can do it easily. And as has been mentioned, if someone locks up the brakes in front of you, or isn't paying attention and pulls in front of you, you're ****** legally.
Well for now this is on the back burner. Got too many projects on hand to do this right now anyway. In the meantime it should handle the 6-7K range with some good shocks and springs. And of course a WD hitch.

The engine, being freshly rebuilt should put out enough torque to handle 6K. And the 3500 is being rebuilt to handle that as well.

And on your last part, I roll with a dashcam in all my trucks. I had someone do that once a few years ago for insurance scam. Needless to say it got dismissed.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
NV3500 is a weak piece of **** that can barely handle 35s with 3.73s. Have fun blowing the insides apart
I do agree, from the factory the 3500 is rather not the greatest choice. But if you have a good rebuilt one like me, it can candle some decent weight. I'd rather have a T5 but that's down the road....

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In order to beat this dead horse, I'll add that NV3500s were popular due to their shift characteristics. IF in good condition, and with correct lube, they are very friendly. Very nice feel. Great for smallish loads. They were never designed for commercial or heavy towing. Ratios are great for a Camaro.
I removed an NV4500 and installed a '95 4x4 NV3500 behind a BB 489. I figured I'd destroy it. And would have had i been rough with it. It shifted sweet compared to the 4500. I only pulled about 6K when towing and had 4lo without front end locked for tight maneuvering.
Worked great for what I was doing. Then I bought a toy hauler. Choice was to go back with the 4500, which I had, or change trucks. Even though my 2500 was tight, it was not safe pulling the toy hauler. The clutch, with the tall 3500 1st was not happy. Sometimes you you gotta know when to fold.
I bought a 1 ton dually, which unlike my 'burb, sucks as a daily driver. The burb was a great daily driver. But the dually feels safe and is an excellent tow vehicle. Right remarkable in fact.
A dually makes for a solid footprint for tag-alongs.
As someone stated, a gooseneck would allow for safely going forward...but it won't help stop the load...
BTW, diesel is good too.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Gm factory towing rating. This is what you are LEGALLY allowed to tow. Beyond this you can fill your cab with dash cams, if shtf its on you
You must be registered for see images attach

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score