Truck dosent like towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Oh it's just tuned, I was thinking it was a built engine. Yeah, it's probably just lugging, especially with a longer duration cam.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Yeah I dont really know anything about the engine other than the cam. the guy before me had it rebuilt along with the trans, i'm pretty sure it was just a standard rebuild. I guess Lugging would make sence, i get a little bit of it just cruising uphill, sometiems i downshift on big hills... probably time for a regear, or more power!

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
If you can keep the engine in it's power band, then you should be ok. If you're having problems with that or you're the type to like the low rpm pulls, swap that cam back out with a lower duration. A higher lift will help too but be careful of the stock valve seals.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I kept my cam swap very conservative for just this reason.

Do you have the specs of your current cam? That would be a great help in diagnosing the problem.

I went with a stock LT1-F cam (204/207 .447/.459) which would probably be good for your combination, or maybe even an LT4 hot cam, although that's probably borderline for low end towing power (219/228 .492/.492).

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
**** i dono how to make it straight, if you click on it you can rotate it in imgshack tho

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, that's smaller than a LT4 hot cam, and I'd think it should run pretty good down low. What RPM are you towing at?

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Usually Around 1500 in OD, if i hop out of OD I run around 2100 and it tows much better, but the mileage is a little worse.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
When ya run a bigger cam, it requires more fuel consumption, but I cannot see how in the hell you're getting 6mpg towing.....it's beyond me. My old 440-powered winnebago got 9mpg driving thru the Rockies, so I'm stumped. sorry