Truck dosent like towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
My truck dosent tow often but when it does it just dosent like it at all, nothing with the handling or anything like that. but even with only 1100lb trailer i get like 6mpg, cant even use overdrive.

the engine noise is also alot louder (clicking ticking. ect)

It not that the trailer is unhaulable, out of overdrive it does ok.. just not the mpg.

The truck stops like wet **** on a good day and the trailers dont help (have yet to get a brake controler)

Wondering what other people have found towing with towing their trailers.

truck in sig

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 2 times I hauled my 32' 6500Lb camper with my old TBI350 truck, the truck was working really hard but the engine sounded ok. Stopping wise, I had a brake controller, it was like the trailer wasnt there and the stabilizer bars kept her straight and true. Ive never towed with the Vortec but if the TBI was ok I imagine something is really wrong if you could feel a 1100Lb trailer. I towed my buddies 1200lb Boler trailer and I never felt the thing behind my 93, and that was without trailer brakes.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
I hav the tbi and when I tow my truck can't tell the trailer is there until I reach like 3500 lbs. Then a that poit stoppig I can feel it a little. Sounds like there are some kind of engine problem. The clicking I don't know but the ticking could be an exhaust leak. But I'd deffinetly get it checked out

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
yeah, my engine is loud on a good day.. thing is she drives fine without anything behind it, i've had it run low 14's in the 1/4 which i think is how it should with my mods. just dont know about towing :shrug:

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Really? Mine isn't really loud and I have the airaid tb spacer which makes a slight whistle sound. Mine only get loud in super high altitude

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This was with a vortec but I towed my 29' travel trailer and it did great. MPG wise I think I got around 8-10 depending on terrain and speed limit... That's with a huge trailer that's easily over 6K and probably closer to 7K. I did about 1200 miles with that thing behind and got 8mpg consistently. 6mpg with a 1k trailer says somethings wrong. What gears do you have? also your sig says that you've got a "comp cam" I'm not familiar with different cams but how does that cam change your power curves?

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
my power curves are up higher than stock, i do know that.. never though of that till now actually. 3.73 gears with 33" tires. trans and engine are both rebuilt. its not so much of a dog if i'm dropping down a gear up hills or anything and out of od (which i dont even bother with anymore) its good just the damn mpg, and i guess theres not enough power at my 1300rpm cruise speed to keep it in od

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my power curves are up higher than stock, i do know that.. never though of that till now actually. 3.73 gears with 33" tires. trans and engine are both rebuilt. its not so much of a dog if i'm dropping down a gear up hills or anything and out of od (which i dont even bother with anymore) its good just the damn mpg, and i guess theres not enough power at my 1300rpm cruise speed to keep it in od

See I've got the stock down low power band, Stock ~29" tires and 3.73 gears... Sounds like you're just lugging the crap out of it with those bigger tires and the higher powerband. It might work ok for normal driving (just like 3.42 and stock tires are ok for normal driving) But You wouldn't pull very effectively with 3.42s and especially not with 3.42s and a modified power band. With those tires and engine mods I think you need to step up from 3.73s if you want to pull much. That's my $0.02

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
The ticking/clicking sound is probably your engine loading up or your detonating. If you're running a hopped up motor, ya may wanna run better fuel in it.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
The ticking/clicking sound is probably your engine loading up or your detonating. If you're running a hopped up motor, ya may wanna run better fuel in it.

I've got 2 bb tunes, one for power that i need 93 oct for and one for mileage that runs 87. my engine ticks/clicks always no matter what, i think its a combo of noisy lifters, the cam and headers. and the rest of the exhaust. I think mabye I am just lugging, i'll mabye throw on a set of stock tires and see how much it helps