Truck dosent like towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
oh well, It could be the way i have my tune set up, i Guess i could try the stock computer and see if there is a diference. if not i will just not watch the fuel guage anymore.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man everything is about gearing and mechanical advantage. This thread really makes me think because I have a 95 350 TBI 4.56's and true 37's and I pull my 5x12 landscape trailer with 2 trimmers 2 blowers and 2 300 lb mowers I mean it can't way THAT much but I definitely feel it behind the truck. Driving out of OD it does good, but in OD it's terrible and I know what you mean about the ticking sound except I'm 100% positive mine is exhaust noise it sounds like a train when it bogs out chooga chooga I HATE that I want to get it taken care of asap...There is a gap in between my exhaust mani and the pipe passenger side that needs to be closed up I think that's what's doing it. I don't mind engine noise but I want the main thing to be the roar coming out the tips not a tick tick tick coming from the frame :nono:

I pulled a even bigger trailer a couple years back 16ft with a zero turn and walk behind and I don't remember it being bad and I was lifted on 35's and 4.56 small 35's at that so I guess I was wayy better suited to tow with those small 35's..

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Man everything is about gearing and mechanical advantage. This thread really makes me think because I have a 95 350 TBI 4.56's and true 37's and I pull my 5x12 landscape trailer with 2 trimmers 2 blowers and 2 300 lb mowers I mean it can't way THAT much but I definitely feel it behind the truck. Driving out of OD it does good, but in OD it's terrible and I know what you mean about the ticking sound except I'm 100% positive mine is exhaust noise it sounds like a train when it bogs out chooga chooga I HATE that I want to get it taken care of asap...There is a gap in between my exhaust mani and the pipe passenger side that needs to be closed up I think that's what's doing it. I don't mind engine noise but I want the main thing to be the roar coming out the tips not a tick tick tick coming from the frame :nono:

I pulled a even bigger trailer a couple years back 16ft with a zero turn and walk behind and I don't remember it being bad and I was lifted on 35's and 4.56 small 35's at that so I guess I was wayy better suited to tow with those small 35's..

I would Love 4.56's.. But its only money right? I had a bad exhaust tick after i first put on my headers, couldnt figure out what it was so one day i yanked them off and one of the gaskets was blown.. now i just have engine noise.. mainly lifters and i think the headers make them louder.. outside the truck all i hear is exhaust.. inside i head the tires, engine, exhaust, dash rattle... good thing i got decent speakers.

Tonight i plan to put in my stock comp and stock tires and see what it can do to our 9000lb enclosed, will post results.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I have a little bit of dash rattle too which even the NEW NEW trucks have squeaks and rattles so I'm not worried about that...I basically just hate how my engine sort of bogs out and sound like a choo choo then you add the exhaust tick and my truck just sounds OLD ya know? I've got to get that exhaust gap closed up I think it's the main reason I'm gettting that effect cuz it's bouncing off my floor and the ground and just makes it sound terrible...My engine don't make any noises that aren't normal that I've noticed but then again I don't have anything done other than whats in my sig.

rico47635

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Overdrive isn't really designed to be used when towing. Unless an engine develops a lot of low end torque, trying to tow a trailer while running highway speeds at 1500 RPMs just isn't giving you much towing power. Hence, the engine works harder and uses more fuel, not to mention the stress on the transmission.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I never tow in overdrive even with a small trailer, and like mentioned 33's and 3.73's you just need bigger gear's, my last towpig was a 350 TBI with 4.10's and 33's I pulled some heavy truck's on a car hauler trailer many times with no problem's.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well all around town I pull my 5x12 out of OD but as soon as I hop on the highway that **** tops out quick over 40 mph and you just run out of gear. Trying to drive 15 minutes on the highway out of OD I'd burn a whole damn tank of gas and it'd be screaming but once I hit about 50mph I switch it to OD and the rpms are chillin @ like 1500 doing 70-80 I love it like I've said though the bigger tires really helped out the top end speed with 4.56's vs. my old small 35's.

rico47635

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to a site I know about to check RPMs vs speed to get some figures for comparison. The truck calls for 245 75r16 tires, which are 30 inches high. Running those tires produces the following results:

1625 RPMs
.70:1 transmission ratio (overdrive)
3.73 rear end gears
55.5 MPH

2550 RPMs
1.0:1 transmission ratio (3rd gear)
3.73 rear end gears
55.5 MPH

Running with the 33 inch tires gives the following results:

1475 RPMs
3.73 rear end gears
55.5 MPH

2320 RPMs
1.0:1 transmission ratio
3.73 rear end gears
55.5 MPH

So, as you can see, those 33 inch tires are making your engine run at less than 1500 RPMs in overdrive at 55.5 MPH. That is not good for towing with an engine that develops its peak torque (330ish) at 2800 RPMs. You are having to give your truck more gas for it to maintain its speed because it's being worked at lower RPMs than it needs to get the job done. Also, the cam in it may give the truck more horsepower, but it may also increase the RPMs needed for the truck to develop the same ft lbs of torque it would with the stock cam.

rico47635

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well all around town I pull my 5x12 out of OD but as soon as I hop on the highway that **** tops out quick over 40 mph and you just run out of gear. Trying to drive 15 minutes on the highway out of OD I'd burn a whole damn tank of gas and it'd be screaming but once I hit about 50mph I switch it to OD and the rpms are chillin @ like 1500 doing 70-80 I love it like I've said though the bigger tires really helped out the top end speed with 4.56's vs. my old small 35's.

2030 RPMs
4.56 rear end gears
37 inch tires
70 MPH

3190 RPMs
1.0:1 transmission ratio (3rd gear)
4.56 rear end gears
37 inch tires
70 MPH