Truck dosent like towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought Chevy changed the design of the transmissions when they came out with the Vortec engines so that all you needed to do was push a button to go from OD to D. Maybe that was on Fords where you could do that.

I mean my buddys 02 has the tow/haul button which I used pulling my trailer one day I didn't feel a difference at all but then I put it in 3 like I do mine and it was much better but I was more speaking directly about the gm400 vortec 350 from 96-99 if they put in 3 or had some sort of button...

rico47635

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mean my buddys 02 has the tow/haul button which I used pulling my trailer one day I didn't feel a difference at all but then I put it in 3 like I do mine and it was much better but I was more speaking directly about the gm400 vortec 350 from 96-99 if they put in 3 or had some sort of button...

Ok. Yeah, I forgot about the tow/haul thing they came out with. That's the button they came out with that changes how the tranny shifts. Jeez, I must be gittin old!!! LOL!

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok. Yeah, I forgot about the tow/haul thing they came out with. That's the button they came out with that changes how the tranny shifts. Jeez, I must be gittin old!!! LOL!

Yeah but like I said it didn't do anything noticeable or maybe I'm gettin old too lol but I know I eventually used 3rd but it too was terrible and it wouldn't go back to OD when I shifted it I had to wait to come to a stop then OD and it pulled fine but its stock 5.3 on 285's.

Silentkillzr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Me and my buddy have towed hundreds of cars on his old 96 z71 vortec, Always towed in 3rd, never had an issue, best thing ive ever towed with.

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was getting 9-10 mpg towing when I was running Bridgestone Revo's (rougher ride)
My new wheels came with Bridgestone tires that GM would install on all their trucks (softer ride)
and my tow milage went up to 12 mpg with no other changes.
I only use OD when rolling down a big incline or when it is really flat. If it shifts in and out much at all, I'll just leave it in 3rd.
95 TBI BTW

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was getting 9-10 mpg towing when I was running Bridgestone Revo's (rougher ride)
My new wheels came with Bridgestone tires that GM would install on all their trucks (softer ride)
and my tow milage went up to 12 mpg with no other changes.
I only use OD when rolling down a big incline or when it is really flat. If it shifts in and out much at all, I'll just leave it in 3rd.
95 TBI BTW

Did your non towing mileage go up too?

What is the air pressure that you ran in both tires? Same size tires?

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't checked milage w/o towing. I always seem to be towing on longer trips.
I moved up from 16" to 18" wheels. Doh...maybe that's what did it. I do have less pressure in the tires I'm currently running, forget exactly what.
I will be going to the factory 20's in the same style once the finds permit..