Decent affordable recommendations on brake control? For Towing anything from a few snowmobiles / quads to a Small car trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
How does it act compared to a P3?

Any single axle deal I believe won't have electric brakes. And I surely don't believe a dolly would have brakes. But I had a Voyager and it worked fine. The one I had was proportional. Yours looks older.
Most states, a single axle trailer is not required to have brakes. Dual axle and larger are required to have brakes; this is why the bigger U Haul trailers and most RV travel trailers, car haulers, etc. have them.
Texas is what I have the most experience towing in, and it goes by these guidelines. Only times we've towed into Louisiana, we had the single axle 5x8 trailer.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had a Tekonsha Voyager in my truck when I first got it, it was alright but for a "proportional" brake controller it was grabby, don't know what the deal was.
Upgraded to a P3 a few years ago, I won't run anything else from here on out. I love it, worked amazing pulling everything from my empty car trailer, my overloaded car trailer, and my heavy ass camper. It's programmable with the ability to save settings, and it's got proportional boost levels for different trailer sizes.
It's a little spendy but it's worth every penny.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Most states, a single axle trailer is not required to have brakes. Dual axle and larger are required to have brakes; this is why the bigger U Haul trailers and most RV travel trailers, car haulers, etc. have them.
Texas is what I have the most experience towing in, and it goes by these guidelines. Only times we've towed into Louisiana, we had the single axle 5x8 trailer.

Beyond that, a single axle unit is also a lot dartier. Especially if one of the brakes leaves the chat.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my two-axle car hauler from a trailer store locally. No brakes, and Oklahoma doesn't even require a tag on a trailer.

I do want to upgrade it with brakes at some point.

ADW400

Reaction score
Here's a picture of my Redarc brake controller and where I put it. Just thought of it this morning and figured I'd follow up and share. The actual controller is buried in the dash and all that you see is the knob, which makes for a super clean install.

(yes, I know my water temp is high. temp was all over the place this morning... must need a thermostat...)
You must be registered for see images attach

D-Day

Reaction score
'Affordable' really shouldn't be a metric when talking about brakes.

I've been towing, building trailers and installing brake controllers for 40 years. Now I won't bother with anything but this RedArc-

It handles lightweight single axles, or 3 axle equipment trailers, all with nothing more than a dial.

You can make do with nearly any old controller, but they don't respond proportionally; they're never quite optimized for your next stop, the adjustment wheels wear out, they're in your way or hard to access when you need it quickly. With the RedArc you can tie the unit anywhere under the dash, and install the knob where it's convenient and accessible.
I have a Redarc, and I am enjoying it.