1993 Chevrolet C3500 Crew Cab Restoration/Cummins Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
I'm going with build it where it is easy to maintain and won't make you get rid of it. If the manual will be carefree I would go with that. Enjoy is what you want.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

So the whole reason I started this cummins swap was because the recently rebuilt 4l80E lost overdrive. I tried replacing sensors, tried to replace things like the brake switch etc etc. All of the potential fixes for the 93 overdrive issues. Ultimately got fed up with it, pulled the 6.5 out and put it in my red 94. Then deceided to cummins swap this 93. The trans always shifted well, just had issues with overdrive.

Well, upon pulling out the drivetrain I noticed they did not replace the internal harness with the upgraded harness when they rebuilt the trans.. So after thinking about it this morning, i came up with an idea. I'm half tempted to just replace that internal harness, drop the trans in there, and use my existing trans controller out of my 94 truck and see if upgrading that internal harness fixes the OD issue. If it fixes the issue and the trans passes the test, then I can upgrade the trans with a transgo shift kit and replace the converter with a 1200 stall billet converter. The rebuild can't even have 30k on it, so I'm tempted to at least try that.

If it doesn't work, I'm out the cost of the internal wiring harness... I already have the adapter plate anyways which I'd have to sell if I went manual.

Last edited:

rolla711

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the whole reason I started this cummins swap was because the recently rebuilt 4l80E lost overdrive. I tried replacing sensors, tried to replace things like the brake switch etc etc. All of the potential fixes for the 93 overdrive issues. Ultimately got fed up with it, pulled the 6.5 out and put it in my red 94. Then deceided to cummins swap this 93. The trans always shifted well, just had issues with overdrive.

Well, upon pulling out the drivetrain I noticed they did not replace the internal harness with the upgraded harness when they rebuilt the trans.. So after thinking about it this morning, i came up with an idea. I'm half tempted to just replace that internal harness, drop the trans in there, and use my existing trans controller out of my 94 truck and see if upgrading that internal harness fixes the OD issue. If it fixes the issue and the trans passes the test, then I can upgrade the trans with a transgo shift kit and replace the converter with a 1200 stall billet converter. The rebuild can't even have 30k on it, so I'm tempted to at least try that.

If it doesn't work, I'm out the cost of the internal wiring harness... I already have the adapter plate anyways which I'd have to sell if I went manual.
I see the choice has been made. You just had to talk it out

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
I see the choice has been made. You just had to talk it out

If that internal wiring harness is the culprit, at the very least i could have a trans to use for a while. Even if it didn't hold up, big deal, i was going to rebuild it anyways. If I get a few years out of it, it's better than just throwing it away considering he's already paid for a rebuild on it.

We'll see what happens. Just gotta save up for the head studs and flywheel and then get it all put together. lol

rolla711

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey even better it will be a momento from him in that truck that is original

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
We'll see. I've gotta
here's an option if wanting full manual control of the 4L80:
http://www.shop.jakesperformance.com/Manual-Control-Box-for-4L80E-JP-MCB.htm
i'm using the Jakes eliminator plug which gives me full manual but can't seem to find it on the web. hope to install the floor shifter soon.

if i wanted full manual control i'd just go NV4500. Jake's sells good stuff though. I'll prolly see what i've got with this 4L80E and then move forward from there.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Had some free time this past weekend to pull the truck out, and get the extra short bed i have off this frame so I can start to do some work on it now that I have the time.

You must be registered for see images attach

I set the extra bed outside on the CCSB frame, which I may or may not ever get around too.. but it's out of the way for the time being. I originally planned on swapping my 94 (red crew cab) over to this chassis, but now I'm not sure if I want to. The red truck is completely rust free (frame, cab, bed) and this frame is rusty, I have this short bed, but it's not perfect, unlike my 8 foot bed. So I'm probably going to just leave my 94 alone, no sense in gutting a perfectly clean truck.

That said, I'm half tempted to just sell this CCSB frame/bed... Or find a cab from a truck being parted out and build a CCSB 4x4 to use for winter driving. Ether way, it's going to sit for quite a while until this 93 is done.

Now that I have the bed off, I can begin to strip down, prep, and paint the frame semi gloss black. Then begin to replace the brake and fuel lines, followed by swapping out the factory 4:10 rear end.

Which brings me here. My dad's truck needed a new axle, so I bought this pair of axles. A 4:10 dually axle for his truck, and a 14 bolt SRW 3:42 ratio for this truck. I bought both of these from a buddy, the same guy I got the engine from, and he told me he bought this axle from a guy who took it out of a Suburban. I've never seen a factory 14 bolt full float 3:42, but the teeth on the ring gear match a 3:42 ratio, so it works for me.

3:42 is a pretty high ratio for a 1 ton pickup, but considering that the cummins is a torque monster that doesn't rev up as high as the other GMT400 motors, it seems like the best option.

Here is roughly the RPM's I'm looking at.
3:42 - 1800rpm @ 70 MPH
3:73 - 2100rpm @ 70 MPH
4:10 - 2600rpm @ 70 MPH.

The 3:42 will allow me to travel 75-77 mph (seemingly average highway speed now a days) at 2000rpm, which is within the Cummins optimal torque and fuel efficiency range. For most of my daily driving, I typically sit in the 65-68mph range, so that'll keep me around 1600-1700rpm where I should see 20-21mpg. I'll take a little hit with towing, but considering that dodge trucks came with 3:55 ratio's and that I don't routinely tow more than 10k, It should work out well.

My biggest beef with my 6.5 truck, is with that 3.73 ratio, during road trips when I'm far from home, I don't feel comfortable driving much faster than 70mph, just because I don't like revving the 6.5 up to 2500rpm for 2-3, even up 8 hours at a time. Diesels are much happier at lower RPM's. I do plan on working the truck, but highway speeds are more important to me as it should see plenty of highway miles.

Last edited:

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Was it ridiculously expensive to have the axles shipped?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I think thru Fastenal it was like $200-250 for two axles from Dallas TX to Central IL

Love the info that you're sharing

Thanks, i'm not an expert by any means... many guys have done things alot cheaper, and probably alot nicer.

I just know when i was looking into it, i felt that there wasn't a really good thread written out on everything you need from from start to finish, so your only option is to get on facebook groups and ask questions. Well a lot of the guys get annoyed from answering the same questions over and over.. So i tried to include a lot of the options, and the decisions you have to make, (intercooler/trans selection, fan choice, axle ratio etc) so that people can get a general idea on what they're in for before they dive into a swap.
(While also kinda tracking the progress on this build so people can see it come together)