1993 Chevrolet C3500 Crew Cab Restoration/Cummins Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Do they just ship it to the Fastenal nearest you? This option intrigues me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yep, he took them to a fastenal near him,they shipped to the fastenal nearest me, (20 min from my house) They picked them up with a forklift, set them on the trailer and off i went. Same thing with the engine. It's really pretty simple.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, he took them to a fastenal near him,they shipped to the fastenal nearest me, (20 min from my house) They picked them up with a forklift, set them on the trailer and off i went. Same thing with the engine. It's really pretty simple.
My good friend is a manager at my local fastenal and their shipping service is great and cheap. The only thing they require is that it is on a pallet or in a crate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
My good friend is a manager at my local fastenal and their shipping service is great and cheap. The only thing they require is that it is on a pallet or in a crate.

Yep, luckily enough for me that was no issue as the guy i got these axles and the engine from does this legitimately and ships all over the country.

Should be noted i got these and the engine from Tex Star Automotive - McKinney TX. I don't remember if i noted them in here or not, but they're a great place to buy used engines, transmissions and axles from. Tim is a great guy, very knowledgeable, very honest, and reasonable. He's been able to get his hands on just about anything i've needed.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, luckily enough for me that was no issue as the guy i got these axles and the engine from does this legitimately and ships all over the country.

Should be noted i got these and the engine from Tex Star Automotive - McKinney TX. I don't remember if i noted them in here or not, but they're a great place to buy used engines, transmissions and axles from. Tim is a great guy, very knowledgeable, very honest, and reasonable. He's been able to get his hands on just about anything i've needed.
Great. Ill add him to the ole Rolodex

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
For some reason, today after work i felt inspired to get to work on this thing, so i rolled it outside and began wire wheeling and grinding down the rust on the frame so i can paint it.

(excuse the poor quality of the pictures, i cracked my lense on my phone so the focus/brightness has been off)

You must be registered for see images attach

Began grinding down the passenger side. Going to have to pick up some more wire wheels tommorow, to finish this side and start the drivers side, pull the fuel/brake lines, and finish all the chassis prep. Pictures really don't do justice on how much i was able to accomplish, still a ways to go before i can apply the KBS undercoating. Will cover that with a top coat of farm implement semi gloss black paint.

Luckily enough, when my dad bought the truck back in 96, he took great care of it and rubberized undercoated the whole underbody really well. Obviously 20 years of Midwest winters have done a number on the truck, but for the most part the body/frame have stood the test of time. At least leaves me with a solid enough truck to work with.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Well after hours of sanding and wire wheeling, it's ready for a KBS Rust Seal base coat on the frame. (Essentially POR 15)

Did my best to get all of the frame grinded down to a paintable surface. Even on the leaf hangers, and up into the crevices of the cross members which made the whole thing a very time consuming.

Overall, things turned out pretty nice. Looks like a new frame. Still have to do underneath the cab, and the transmission and driveshaft cross members before I top coat it with a nice layer of semi-closs farm implement black. (POR15/KBS do not handle UV rays, and although the frame won't really see sun, the second coat of (heavy duty farm implement paint) Will surely seal everything up good and keep the frame looking good for a while.

In a perfect world, you would strip the frame down, pull the cab, and send the frame off to get sandblasted. Just not in the budget for this project, nor realistic for a truck I'm going to turn around and work and pull trailers with. Now while i'll use it regularly, I do not intend for it to ever see winter again.

Also earlier in the week managed to clean out the interior. After all these years, still cleans up nicely.

Last edited:

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
.....Thanks, i'm not an expert by any means... many guys have done things alot cheaper, and probably alot nicer.

I just know when i was looking into it, i felt that there wasn't a really good thread written out on everything you need from from start to finish, so your only option is to get on facebook groups and ask questions. Well a lot of the guys get annoyed from answering the same questions over and over.. So i tried to include a lot of the options, and the decisions you have to make, (intercooler/trans selection, fan choice, axle ratio etc) so that people can get a general idea on what they're in for before they dive into a swap.
(While also kinda tracking the progress on this build so people can see it come together)
forums need more people like you: i had a pissing match on another forum. guy asks a question and there was a thread just before his with all the answers to the same question. bothers me when a new member joins and doesn't even bother to use search.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
forums need more people like you: i had a pissing match on another forum. guy asks a question and there was a thread just before his with all the answers to the same question. bothers me when a new member joins and doesn't even bother to use search.

Haha, thanks, I just try to be detailed, and show the progress of my build and kinda go into why I do what I do. By the time it's all said and done, I hope it's an informative explaination of how to do a cummins swap. Even though I've gotten off track lately, just can't afford to finish the swap right this second. Hopefully this winter i'll get the motor/trans in.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Damn, I need to brush my frame down and paint it up like you did yours, luckily living in the south I'll never have to worry about the strong salt brines anymore.

Please tell me you're still going to do the CCSB conversion on the 94,