92 2500 6 lug 4x4 NV4500 built SBC ext cab short box long term build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
3.5” bends to go from the turbo to the muffler. A nice vibrant merge going from dual 2.5 into 3.5 to the turbo, never cut corners here! GT-45 turbo good for 600 HP. The 360 inch SBC is only about 360 Hp NA but in boost it will be a handful. Many people go too large on the turbo, this one’s a nice size for the combo.
I'd much rather have a fast spooling turbo that is fun to drive for a daily over a dyno queen. Choosing the wrong turbo is like ordering the camshaft at the bottom of the page for a 305 with a stock converter and gears.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd much rather have a fast spooling turbo that is fun to drive for a daily over a dyno queen. Choosing the wrong turbo is like ordering the camshaft at the bottom of the page for a 305 with a stock converter and gears.
Absolutely! It’s a pretty well specced out budget build. Sure it still costs some money but nothing here is exotic. I’m having fun with the truck so far, it’s a beater but that’s ok!

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Absolutely! It’s a pretty well specced out budget build. Sure it still costs some money but nothing here is exotic. I’m having fun with the truck so far, it’s a beater but that’s ok!
A good example of that is the borg warner s366 vs s475. The 366 is rated something along the lines of 450-750hp and the 475 is 750+ (if I recall correctly) but on the typical sbc or ls the 366 will make you giggle like a schoolgirl every time you push the skinny pedal ever so slightly. The 475 with the same engine will run harder on top but be lazy by comparison on the bottom to mid end. Obviously these are generalizations because there are so many more factors.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bench seat is gone, buckets and console are in. The torsion bars were seized to the keys, had to cut a slit in them then hit them with a Jack hammer to break them free! The torsion bar crossmember was all bent up so I removed it but now I’m fighting with the junkyard keys and torsion bars to get them out of the crossmember.

I don’t have an oxy acet torch or a press so I’m bringing it to a shop! Lol

In the pics you can see the difference between the stock keys and the lowering ones. Also shown is the crossmember I got from the junkyard but keys are seized. Lastly the original crossmember which is all bent up! This truck went off roading at a high rate of speed I’d say!

Attachments

• IMG_5306.jpeg
    IMG_5306.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5305.jpeg
    IMG_5305.jpeg
    215.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5304.jpeg
    IMG_5304.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5303.jpeg
    IMG_5303.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5301.jpeg
    IMG_5301.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 7

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bench seat is gone, buckets and console are in. The torsion bars were seized to the keys, had to cut a slit in them then hit them with a Jack hammer to break them free! The torsion bar crossmember was all bent up so I removed it but now I’m fighting with the junkyard keys and torsion bars to get them out of the crossmember.

I don’t have an oxy acet torch or a press so I’m bringing it to a shop! Lol

In the pics you can see the difference between the stock keys and the lowering ones. Also shown is the crossmember I got from the junkyard but keys are seized. Lastly the original crossmember which is all bent up! This truck went off roading at a high rate of speed I’d say!
When I was in college some buddies and I went out wheeling. I was in an 86 Toyota on 33's. We got into an area where we couldn't turn around and when we eventually found a way out it required going up an embankment and over a st of railroad tracks. It meant enough speed to bump the tires over the tracks and not launch the nose into the sky. Unfortunately a bit too much caution was used and the front tires cleared the tracks but the transfer case crossmember didn't. We bent the heck out of it and bent the railroad track in about a 1/4". My buddy didn't live too far from there and at night when all was quiet you could hear the train hitting that spot.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I was in college some buddies and I went out wheeling. I was in an 86 Toyota on 33's. We got into an area where we couldn't turn around and when we eventually found a way out it required going up an embankment and over a st of railroad tracks. It meant enough speed to bump the tires over the tracks and not launch the nose into the sky. Unfortunately a bit too much caution was used and the front tires cleared the tracks but the transfer case crossmember didn't. We bent the heck out of it and bent the railroad track in about a 1/4". My buddy didn't live too far from there and at night when all was quiet you could hear the train hitting that spot.
Yes this truck must have had a similar event lol! I’m going to replace the cross member behind this one eventually its all bent up as well. When I’m under the truck investigating I imagine the type of situation that would cause the damage!

Actually that reminds me, on my 91 2500 heavy half that was my daily for years I drove it off road without a lift kit and I remember a certain time it bottomed out at about 40 mph. A few years later when I was swapping in a new crate engine my buddy said: Dude your crossmember is bent and there is gravel in your frame! I just laughed and finished the engine swap without even looking at the damage. Never had an issue with it, lol

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here’s a pic of the crossmember I was taking about. It’s riveted in so I need to grind the rivets and swap it. On second thought it’s more like a carriage bolt but it doesn’t seem to have a bolt on the top side. Anyways that’s a job for once this one is completed. It’s so bent that it contacted the driveshaft and the previous owner simply replaced the driveshaft but left the crossmember all bent up and about to contact the new shaft.

The exhaust was shot so I really had no option other than to turbocharge it lol

Attachments

• IMG_5310.jpeg
    IMG_5310.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5311.jpeg
    IMG_5311.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited: