2000 C3500 Rig Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

basedbb

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and wanted to share some pictures of the truck I got to turn into a welding/service rig. It's a 2000 C3500 with a 5.7 motor, 4l80 and 4.10 gears. It's got a 10ft flatbed on it. I don't really plan on towing much with this truck, at the moment I don't even have room for a trailer but hopefully I can get that figured out soon. This trucks a beast and honestly not as slow as you'd think.

I have a lot of work to do to the truck still but she runs good and drives good, has a small "numb" spot in the steering despite a whole new front end, new tires and alignment, so if anyone knows the solution to that I'm all ears. Pretty soon I'm going to be getting a lincoln ranger to put on the back of this truck as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of work to do to the truck still but she runs good and drives good, has a small "numb" spot in the steering despite a whole new front end, new tires and alignment, so if anyone knows the solution to that I'm all ears.

Greetings basedbb, and welcome to the GMT400 forum!

If it hasn't been already replaced as part of the 'new front end',
there is a rag joint coupler between the steering shaft and steering box
which causes what you noticed when they get to be this old. (A surprising
number are still original, possibly because they are hidden from view by
a plastic shield?)

Here's a short video on what it takes to replace this rag joint on a GMT400
truck:

With all the play removed from the steering system these old trucks
still drive nice, but never quite the same precise feel as a modern
rack-and-pinion setup. But when these rag joints are worn, there
really can be a numb spot in the dead center position.

Let us know what you find, and what it took to fix it. Glad to have
you join, we love to see an old 1 ton still working for a living!

Cheers --

basedbb

Reaction score
Yeah I replaced the rag joint too as well as the ps pump and steering gearbox. The gearbox was reman though. I'm a jeep guy and it's notorious that the rebuilt boxes are loose on those so maybe that's where I ****** up.

It's not the worst though, it's just hard to tell when you're centered vs when you're like 2 degrees pointed left or right which is a big deal on this wide ass truck. Mirrors don't fold neither lol.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, from Houston, Texas. My crew cab has the same running gear as your truck. It'll move out right smart when you lean on the go pedal, just takes a little bit to get the power all the way to the back! 21' of truck, and 14' of that is between the wheels; 168.5" wheelbase.
Cool to see one of "these old trucks" still gettin it done! The crew cab cab and chassis trucks are fairly rare, don't see them too often.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I replaced the rag joint too as well as the ps pump and steering gearbox. The gearbox was reman though. I'm a jeep guy and it's notorious that the rebuilt boxes are loose on those so maybe that's where I ****** up.

It's not the worst though, it's just hard to tell when you're centered vs when you're like 2 degrees pointed left or right which is a big deal on this wide ass truck.

Sounds like you've tried all the normal maintenance. And all the normal store brand reman
boxes don't deliver the kind of tight, accurate steering that most prefer.

If you haven't done so already, you might want to read the following thread, where some
members have located and purchased from vendors who are catering to the GMT400 owners
who want their vehicles to steer like new. (Current best steering box)

If you figure a way to tighten up your steering to your satisfaction, please be sure to
report back here what the solution was. I am always interested in taking a good thing
and making it better.

Enjoy that truck!

Cheers --

basedbb

Reaction score
Well I've been pretty busy working on the truck. I painted the grille, did a fuel pump, changed the bulbs and clearance light housings, put on some durafit seat covers (highly recommend these), then I drove the truck to florida and picked up a welder. It was about 1200 miles there and back for me. Got a great deal on the machine and accesories. The only issue I had during the drive was my headlight bulbs cutting out intermittently. Need to work on the wiring for this truck anyways.

basedbb

Reaction score
Got the welder mounted to the bed now. Also got my torch drawer loaded up. I'm about to buy a hose reel for my torch and I need to buy another underbody box for the passenger side to keep my leads in until I make something better. Might make a ladder/material rack to go on top. But honestly this truck is pretty awesome and I think it's gonna do great for starting my business.