2000 5.7 vortex swap for 92 454 tbi help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7popeye7

Reaction score
Hello gentleman , new to site hoping to get some help, I have undergone the motor and trans swap on a 2000 3500, the 5.7 motor was shot and had a 92 454 motorhome donor, I thought I had read it was reasonably simple swap as far as harness to goes but doesn't appear to be , has anyone done this swap and have any helpful advice ? So far they both had 4l80 e trans and those are simple as far as tail piece swap, I haven't checked but read about exhaust changes . What's the biggest hurdle ? Thanks in advance !

7popeye7

Reaction score
Yes, already swapped, now addressing harness, and as far as I could tell the best course of action was to just swap harnesses at this point and so I have almost completely removed orig harness on 2000..

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, already swapped, now addressing harness, and as far as I could tell the best course of action was to just swap harnesses at this point and so I have almost completely removed orig harness on 2000..
You can't run a 454 TBI motor on a 5.7 vortec computer and harness. You would need the computer and harness from the donor, but I also see you are in CA... so how do you plan on passing smog with an OBDI TBI computer and 454 instead of an OBDII 5.7?

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are in for a lot of work my guy. Doable, but a lot of work.