454 marine engine into a vortex 454 truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

00CrewCab

Reaction score
Ok, so long story short, can’t find a vortex 454 (96+) straight out of a truck to swap into mine (2000 K2500 454). However, lots of older boats, and marine 454’s. If I can find a Gen 6 marine 454, I believe all I would need to swap over is: front accessories, intake, fueling, exhaust manifolds, oil pan. I’ve heard the cams are different, is there any computer tuning that would need to be done? Or could I do a OEM truck cam kit or mild cam kit that wouldn’t require computer tuning? Anything else I’d need to swap?

Yes I still plan on my “OEM” 8.1 swap, for the ones who may have seen that thread, but this is to get the truck back on the road for derby season, while I continue to search for parts.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marine engines cooled by lakewater (not a closed cooling system) are known for corroded water jackets and cracked castings when they're not drained over the winter. A very few are reverse-rotation.

Be careful.

P.S. Vortec, not vortex.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Some of the marine engines look to use the OEM L29 intake manifold, in black... unless maybe they don't have the EGR port machined?

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look for an engine that ran a heat exchanger. The presences of antifreeze in the engine is a sure way to tell. Most modern marine engines run heat exchangers or keel coolers.