1993 Chevrolet C3500 Crew Cab Restoration/Cummins Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I get that 100%. Only incline I'd be worried about is a boat ramp. Definitely something that's in the plans for down the road. I live in IL, flat as can be, never park on an incline, so I'm not really worried about that. Just boat ramps, especially if you have to get out, kinda makes it difficult.
You can always use the parking brake technique as a fall back, eliminates the chance of rolling back.

rolla711

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So it's not really the water it's the weight. for about 5 years I daily drove a NV4500 dump truck... I've always found you have to put it in gear in addition to the parking brake otherwise they do keep rolling. I found this out when we parked on a driveway, and loaded things into the truck throughout the day. By lunch it had slowly crept down the driveway about 6-7 feet. Ever since we've always kept a tire chuck in there with the truck. That helps bigtime take the stress of things. I'm sure I could do the same with a boat ramp, but still lol
I say you use a tire chuck, problem solved. Lmao

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
I would pick manual just because thats what I like to drive, preferably.
Boat ramps, hills, daily driving in cities; you just get better at it the more you do it, then you don't even think of it as being out of the ordinary.

For you it makes sense because it would simplify and quicken up the build. And if you're concerned enough about MPG to lower the gear ratio, you would definitely appreciate the mpg savings at the tranny.

If you don't like it you can always swap it to auto; cover up the hole in the floor with a welded piece of metal. No one will ever know it was there, you have carpet right?

yep, have carpet. All in all, the major question is.... I've driven a 5 speed truck daily before. It's not awful. It's just that extra bit does get old. The rest isn't a huge deal. The main compromise is... "is manually shifting gears worth saving $2k" lol

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yep, have carpet. All in all, the major question is.... I've driven a 5 speed truck daily before. It's not awful. It's just that extra bit does get old. The rest isn't a huge deal. The main compromise is... "is manually shifting gears worth saving $2k" lol
You're putting a lot of time, money, and effort into this project.
What's an extra $2k?

You should build it how you'll enjoy using it.
You don't want to put all that time and money into something you won't enjoy driving.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I'd go with the manual, if I had the Trans found I'd already have my 6.7 swapped to a new g56. And I have the AISIN (Medium duty truck trans)

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

rolla711

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the real question is which one is easier for you to get

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
the real question is which one is easier for you to get

Already have the 80E, I can get a GM NV4500 w/ Dodge input shaft really easy and cheap from a friend of mine.

You're putting a lot of time, money, and effort into this project.
What's an extra $2k?

You should build it how you'll enjoy using it.
You don't want to put all that time and money into something you won't enjoy driving.

That's a really good point.

rolla711

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Already have the 80E, I can get a GM NV4500 w/ Dodge input shaft really easy and cheap from a friend of mine.

That's a really good point.
I'm going with build it where it is easy to maintain and won't make you get rid of it. If the manual will be carefree I would go with that. Enjoy is what you want.