ZZ383 Fast Burn Heads/Cam/ValveTrain...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had er out today. Hooked up camper as well. 5K (dry) down highway at 110km/hr (65mph) 3100rpm in 3rd locked up. Pulled great. IF I laid into er she would go.. trans temp 160. 2 small carb hiccups leaving a stop sign. I hit er & she stumbled a tad. I’ll talk to him on that. Un hooked works good. Do I expect more? YES.. he said if I’m not happy he will change the cam for free. I may take him up on that offer.....

Is the vacuum advance on manifold vacuum or ported? If its on ported I would switch it to manifold and see if the tip-in stumble goes away. Many moons ago on my G20 van with a 305, I fought an off-idle hesitation using what edelbrock called the distributor port on their 1405 carb for a while before discovering the difference in ported vs manifold vacuum. What works well for a true hot rod of an engine in a light car with a high stall converter or on a dyno does not work well in a heavy truck at full load. I had to back off the throttle screw a little and leaned the idle mixture screws slightly as well. It just idled and transitioned better with more timing advance at low rpm.

Wheeler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Figured out the issue... took a while but live n learn. The new HP Fuel Pump was over powering the Regulator. It was spiking to 15psi. He addressed that & boom idles without any hiccups. New gauge going on regulator to keep eye on pressure.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Is the vacuum advance on manifold vacuum or ported? If its on ported I would switch it to manifold and see if the tip-in stumble goes away. Many moons ago on my G20 van with a 305, I fought an off-idle hesitation using what edelbrock called the distributor port on their 1405 carb for a while before discovering the difference in ported vs manifold vacuum. What works well for a true hot rod of an engine in a light car with a high stall converter or on a dyno does not work well in a heavy truck at full load. I had to back off the throttle screw a little and leaned the idle mixture screws slightly as well. It just idled and transitioned better with more timing advance at low rpm.
That is my biggest carb tuning call I get. Off -idle stalling/hesitation.

Another carb falsehood "If the power valve is open at idle it will run rich" -My Buddy

My Buddy is an idiot who should have his tools confiscated and returned to Big Lots and be forced to date my ex-wife for a mandatory 6 months as penance. He will take his own life so we don't have to