Wow - rusty new exhaust pipe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The exhaust piping that I used on my truck is the rusty stuff. The piping that I cut off is the other stuff. It has only been on the truck since November. I can't imagine the new pipe will last long. Kinda bummed.

Is the old pipe stainless steel or something maybe?

You must be registered for see images attach

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
Much of the aftermarket stuff, including catalytic converters, is not built for 100,000 miles.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yep, galvanized. Was the pipe you bought meant for exhaust? All exhaust should be either galvanized, stainless, or ceramic coated since you cant paint or powder coat hot exhaust.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, galvanized. Was the pipe you bought meant for exhaust? All exhaust should be either galvanized, stainless, or ceramic coated since you cant paint or powder coat hot exhaust.

I bought it from auto value. I asked them for exhaust pipe. Paid good money for it.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not likely galvanized, as that is seriously poisonous when welded.

The word you're looking for is "aluminized". Lots of aftermarket pipe is aluminized, and it REALLY SUCKS compared to OEM stainless. OTOH, it's what was used on '60s and '70s cars. Exhaust pipes and mufflers tended to last about three years before perforating in areas that used salt on icy roads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeraldinmendez