Worth with 3 inch lift kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey, anybody with some experience of installing a 3 inch lift kit on a subrunan? Is it worth it? On ebay there is a lift kit from Torch off road. Is tgis a good kit? Do you really see that it is lifted? Thinking of getting some 35 inch tyres aswell does anybody have a picture with these spesifications?

Thanks,
Ben

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Assuming this is a 4WD truck we're talking about...

If the kit is only 3 inches (and it's not a body lift) then it's almost certainly a torsion key kit for the front, which is a complete waste of money. You can crank up just as high with the parts already on the truck, but cranking the keys up that much will ride very harshly and tear up front end parts pretty quickly. I would save your money.

To get any kind of decent suspension lift for these trucks (4WD) you really need to go with at least a 4"-6" kit with a front differential drop to keep the CV angles reasonable.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Assuming this is a 4WD truck we're talking about...

If the kit is only 3 inches (and it's not a body lift) then it's almost certainly a torsion key kit for the front, which is a complete waste of money. You can crank up just as high with the parts already on the truck, but cranking the keys up that much will ride very harshly and tear up front end parts pretty quickly. I would save your money.

To get any kind of decent suspension lift for these trucks (4WD) you really need to go with at least a 4"-6" kit with a front differential drop to keep the CV angles reasonable.
^^Rock solid info right here. key, crank, upper control arms kits, or some combination thereof, create more problems then they solve. On going tire wear issues from not being able to obtain acceptable alignment specs, accelerated parts wear including breakage of ball joints, tearing up cv boots one after the other, etc. Want lift, spend for a proper 4"-6" kit and be happy. Rough Country RCX , Zone, etc. A a 3 inch full on crank with or without upper arms will make these trucks ride like a jack hammer. Guy's will buy the key kits and come right back, How do I fix the brutal jaw snapping/vertebrae cracking ride. If you can't because you already bought bigger tires , then what..If you've never experienced your cup holders tossing drinks out them going over a parking lot speed bump with one max cranked is a good way to experience it. I can't even count the times I've heard, "well I only want 3" or even more famously "a little bit" only to later find out they have it cranked as tight as it can be wound. Best advice, figure out where you want to be instead of the cheapest appearing way to get there. If you need 3", a proper 4" kit still the better option for all intents and purpose's.

Last edited:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Likely will not like my opinion. I am not a fan of lift kits, just for looks. If you are going to off road and need clearance and bigger tires, I get it but there is more stress on everything with it lifted, for street and off road. I like a beautiful stock look that looks like it is a cream puff and solid, all at the same time. Good luck.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't even consider buying a "lifted" truck. I did that ONCE with a 2WD '68 and it took a total suspension rebuild to set it right again.

Virtually all of 'em are "All hat...No cattle". (i.e., done for looks and vanity and to impress people at the Dairy Queen that they don't know and who don't care, not lifted in order to be somehow additionally useful.) And the front end will be worn out, maybe with cracked control arms like the truck I bought.

So the "worth" of a lifted truck would be less than one at stock ride-height.

Tall-e-nuff

Reaction score
Hi all. New to forums but love that I've found one all about my 99 Tahoe and Suburban. Looking forward to info. I'm looking to do a 3-4" lift with the Rough Country kit. It replaces keys and axle drop with 2" block for rear. Price is decent, now I'm considering putting it in myself, went over install procedures which are quite detailed, or just getting Low Riders to install. Thoughts would be great. Thanks

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Agreed with @Schurkey and @99xcss4 about buying lifted rigs. Not NO but HELL NO. Personally I am not a fan of lifted at all and never owned a street driven lifted rig. Had a purpose built off road 73 Blazer that was trailered to trails and even to MOAB.

@Tall-e-nuff, welcome to the forum. If you have the mechanical know how and correct tools and equipment to do the lift safely, fine. Watch you tube videos too for help. BUT, you also need to know what to look for when it comes to whether it is a good idea to lift a rig. Are the other reused components in good shape and is the frame in good shape, NO CRACKS!!!!