Won't start, has no crank and no click

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need some help here. I've googled and read up and I'm pretty fed up.

I did the intake gasket and fuel injectors on my 98 chevy 1500 with the vortec 5.7
Put it all back together, changed fuel filter and tried to fire it up and nothing. It's not cranking, It's not clicking.

Battery is fine. The starter is also fine. They were tested and all is good there. Connections are all good. Even redid the starter cable.
I do have an immobizer, but apparently disconnecting the starter and battery was supposed to reset that. It didn't work.
With the DRL and Hazard fuses in, the dash lights won't turn on. With them out, they do turn on and the lights on the dash flicker and click like crazy, also all 4 headlights AND parking lights turn on.

I'm at witts end. Any input would be great as I need this thing running by the weekend.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I do have an immobizer, but apparently disconnecting the starter and battery was supposed to reset that. It didn't work.

When you say this, are you referring to the factory GM PassLock anti-theft that was standard on 98+ trucks, or do you have an aftermarket alarm type system installed? If it's an aftermarket system that would be my first suspect.

Cheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you say this, are you referring to the factory GM PassLock anti-theft that was standard on 98+ trucks, or do you have an aftermarket alarm type system installed? If it's an aftermarket system that would be my first suspect.

Yes aftermarket. It's mandatory to have one in any vehicle older than 10 years or some stupid ****. Without it it voids your insurance should anything happen. It's free to install but if anything goes wrong they charge $300 to have it serviced.... so I'm just trying to dot all I's before doing that and finding out it isn't even the problem.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1st, make sure that it is in park or neutral. Lift up on the shifter just in case.
2nd, it sounds like you have either a power or ground problem. Check the ground at the front of the intake, verify a full 12v on the large stud of the starter, verify a full 12v on the starter solenoid when cranking and with the battery disconnected, run an ohms check between the battery terminal and a good ground on the engine, frame and body. I bet the problem is in a ground.

Cheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1st, make sure that it is in park or neutral. Lift up on the shifter just in case.
2nd, it sounds like you have either a power or ground problem. Check the ground at the front of the intake, verify a full 12v on the large stud of the starter, verify a full 12v on the starter solenoid when cranking and with the battery disconnected, run an ohms check between the battery terminal and a good ground on the engine, frame and body. I bet the problem is in a ground.

I'l double check the shifter.
I did go over the grounds and cables but I only have a test light and not a multimeter. I'll rent one this weekend and go over them all again.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I did the intake on my 98, I vaguely remember having to disconnect a ground down near the damper pulley in order to get something to shift out of the way up top. It may have been a wiring harness near the alternator.

Anyways, don’t know if that’s your issue but thought I’d throw it out there.

Oh, you can get a decent multimeter for $20 or so at a big box store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I did the intake on my 98, I vaguely remember having to disconnect a ground down near the damper pulley in order to get something to shift out of the way up top. It may have been a wiring harness near the alternator.

Thanks. I'm going to go over them later today!

Cheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey just wanted to let you know it was a ground underneath the pulleys... it was on there but I took it off and reconnected it and boom fired up

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad you got it sorted out, thanks for posting the update.