Wiring issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need some advice on where to go with this. I am having wiring issues since I have removed my command start and just getting it all back together now. The only thing different I have done on my truck from working 100% right and where I am now, is I have removed dash, and cut old wires out - soldered wires back together on steering column between the wheel and near the base of the wheel where a 7mm holds a connector (Almost like a fuse block but only connects wires like a quick connect)

This truck is a 1998 so it has VATS, but that issue is figured out. What the truck is currently doing, is when I press my brake pedals my wipers go on full speed, when I press brakes - both turn signals on gauge cluster go on, high beams are on constant any time battery is hooked up, turn signals do not work.

I had to solder every wire on the harness for column (Probably 30 wires or so?) I am sure I got every color wire back to the same wire as before. Might be small chance because were a couple of same color but I checked. Still might be possibility though.

I have also noticed there is one plug that I have not plugged back in because I cant find where it plugs into. It is a blue connector with 5 wires on it. Colors in order of appearance - Black, orange, pink, light green, and brown. I am not sure what this is for. I cant see from factory just leaving it unplugged so it must go into something? I checked and could not find anything else it would go to. It is under dash near steering column and in same wire loom as a bunch of air bag wires ( Yellow loom)

Being a 98 with vats, can I use any other year steering column to replace it with? My shifter bracket is also broken so might have to get new column.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The antitheft system is Passlock, not VATS - VATS is the older system with the "chip" (resistor) visible in the key blade.

If you want to retain the system you need a column from a '98 or a GMT400 '99 classic. However, if you're just replacing it because the shift mechanism is broken, no need - that unbolts, and you can get it from '95-up. Most places probably won't want to sell you just that piece, but maybe you can find a truck with a theft-damaged column.

You must be registered for see images attach

As far as the electrical craziness you're experiencing, most likely you crossed some wires or you're missing an important ground. Just relying on wire colors to hook things back up may have misled you; following the colors plus the "memory" of the cut wires (the tendency they have to spring back into a particular shape/direction) as well as attempting to trace them back to their source...may help.

Richard

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would I be able to replace the column with a different year? I would prefer getting rid of security. In my area they would not sell just the harness off the column or any little parts like that. I would have to buy entire column. I thought it would be better just to replace whole column and I may have one available. But wondering if I replaced column with a different year (95-97) if it would still work. I tried looking everywhere for an answer but could not come up with anything. It should physically fit, but wasnt sure about if not having security in the column would mess anything up and not work.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The only portion of the antitheft system that is in your column is the contact point for the resistor in the tumbler, and the wiring connection to that. The rest of the system resides in a module under your dash and in the PCM. You have more work ahead of you to eliminate that system than simply swapping the column. To put it a different way, you don't need to replace the column for this reason, as it will not eliminate the factory antitheft. If you do the work to eliminate it from the PCM (contact a custom tuner) then the rest of the parts don't matter.

Richard

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a coworker with EFI live I believe, he does a lot of that kind of stuff. I will try and ask him if he could. The reason why I was asking is that if I replaced the column with another year, would the truck still run? I know when security was messing up it would run and then shut off after 1 second. I have that part figured out now.