Wiper switch bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randomguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lots or Googling points me to the pulse board, which on my 88 K1500 was definitely bad. I had the old style wiper motor and ended up replacing it because the boards are not available. Prior to replacement the wash function was the only one that worked and the wipers would stop up or not stop at all.

Now after replacing the wiper motor the wash function is still the only function that works but the wipers stop correctly. Rotating the switch nothing happens.

Does this sound like the switch?

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
It sounds like the motor. Another member had the same issue and switched multiple motors and it had the same problem. He swapped to the newer style and it went away. Mine would work at one speed only and would stop whenever or wherever it wanted. I switched to the newer style and it fixed it

randomguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Motor is the new style but typical parts store china quality so who knows.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Can't you resolder the original board? Normally what I hear is that the problems are caused by cold solder joints, and heating them all back up resolders them making the board functional again. I don't know if that works on all styles, Though.

MatSLO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had problems with wipers and they were completely resolved by buying a new board. I got the cheapest one from Rockauto, I think it cost 17 USD (or maybe 17 EUR) plus shipping. It works just fine.
I have however kept the original board and if I have trouble with the cheap new Chinese board in the future, I'll try resoldering the original.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
@randomguy, I had a similar problem with mine; the motor works in mist or wash mode but not on delay or anything else. It was the switch. Once that was replaced, everything was back to normal. Well, until the old brick pooped it's pants which prompted the swap mentioned above..

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
@454cid, I don't think resoldering the old style "brick" wiper motor's board is possible.
Totally possible. It's a small amount more work to get the board out due to the design of the motor. The problem is the same as the 1991-up motor. Where the harness socket connects to the circuit board, the solder joints crack. Easy fix.

Richard