Windshield removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Depending on the choice of cut out tool, it is possible to remove one without breaking it, but it really isn't a time or money saver. You would still have to remove a good portion of the old urethane off of the glass itself, as well as the body.

I can buy a glass locally to me in Ontario for around $ 150 cash and carry. ( offshore, not PPG )

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I recently parted out a truck and was going to save the windshield, I bought one of those cheap $20 window removal tool kits from ebay, and it was actually working pretty well, I used the string with the handles and have one person on the outside and one on the inside, and go back and forth cutting through the adhesive. However, I got a little impatient after about half an hour, and had the whole thing loose other than about a foot at the bottom by the wipers, and I tried to gently push it out to pop it the rest of the way, and broke it. If I had spent the extra 10 minutes it would have been out fine. My local place would have charged me $60 to come to my house and remove it, so I took my chances. Around here, you can get a new windshield removed and installed for $180 or so

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last time I had a truck painted, I asked about the windshield removal. I was told that a glass shop would send a mobile unit to the paint shop to remove and re-install the windshield, but that there was a risk of the glass breaking. I was further told that if the glass did break, it would be my responsibility to pay for the replacement glass.

I guess this means that even with professionals, there is a significant risk in dealing with glass.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Depending on the choice of cut out tool, it is possible to remove one without breaking it, but it really isn't a time or money saver. You would still have to remove a good portion of the old urethane off of the glass itself, as well as the body.

I can buy a glass locally to me in Ontario for around $ 150 cash and carry. ( offshore, not PPG )
Agreed. Also, the visible difference between old and new glass is so amazing, it's silly to try to save old windshield glass for modern vehicles. Even if the glass looks "OK", once new glass is installed, you'll be amazed at the difference.

For a few extra bucks you can get most glass shops to order in better glass if you prefer. I think I was in at $175 or $190 (can't remember and have sold truck since, no more receipt) for my local shop to get glass in from Mexico vs. China. I don't think you'll find US-made glass for these trucks anymore.

The DOT code on the glass will tell you where it's from; you can look it up on NHTSA's website. I used to have the handy link that made it super easy to look up but they've changed their site since. Haven't had a chance to dig through it and find the new link.

Richard

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I used to work on derby cars I'd drill a hole in the gasket. Then I'd stick a wire in there and put a pair a vice grips on both ends and have two people "saw" it loose like a two person saw drawing the wire back and forth. This is very tiresome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Drilling a hole that close to the glass would scare me $h**tless! Glad to hear you have the skill to get away with this, but I'm not brave enough to try it.

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only needs to be as big as the diameter of wire you're using. Also you should be able to drill without aiming towards the glass

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
When I used to work on derby cars I'd drill a hole in the gasket. Then I'd stick a wire in there and put a pair a vice grips on both ends and have two people "saw" it loose like a two person saw drawing the wire back and forth. This is very tiresome.

There's no gasket on a GMT400 windshield. It's glued to the body with urethane adhesive.

If you're REALLY careful you can chop it out with a sawzall but generally that would be done on a junk truck that you don't care about the body as it's going to scratch it all up. And again, all that work for a used windshield, no thanks. Maybe for a back glass. But you could scratch or damage it, too.

Richard

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
There's no gasket on a GMT400 windshield. It's glued to the body with urethane adhesive.

If you're REALLY careful you can chop it out with a sawzall but generally that would be done on a junk truck that you don't care about the body as it's going to scratch it all up. And again, all that work for a used windshield, no thanks. Maybe for a back glass. But you could scratch or damage it, too.

Richard
This. A new windshield with a warranty only cost me $227 and they came to me to do it

sent from my glade air freshner