Why not check fuel pressure at two points

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nice98chevy

Reaction score
I'm new here but not a newb to truck forums. I recently posted a question regarding a 98 chevy 305 with fuel pressure issues but no one seems to like the idea of checking fuel pressure at two different points. One being the schrader valve on the metal fuel line at the intake. The second point being the fuel filter to check if the pressure valve in the pump is leaking.

I have one of these two issues and i need to get a pressure tester again.

Thanks for the input.

Nice98chevy

Reaction score
One other question. I've read that the minimum fuel pressure is 60 lbs for a 1998 chevy pu with a 305. Mine is showing 58 lbs which the shop considers minimal. It hasn't started when it gets below 50 or so. It finally started today when it got above 50 or so.

Any thoughts?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the pressure valve at the pump? You mean the check valve? If so, I think there is a way to check for that, it's just difficult on these engines because there's no exposed fuel rail.

Disclaimer: I've never replaced a fuel pump...so not an expert on fuel pumps!

If you have fuel pressure at the shrader valve, why wouldn't you have pressure at the fuel filter? But if the filter is clogged, you obviously will have issues at the Schrader valve. Replace filter and recheck.

Pressure "loses" from the filter to the FPR would be inconsequential, if you perhaps think somehow the pressure at the filter is lower than at the FPR?

Last edited: