Why are my Lo Beams burning out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that wiring seems redundant or maybe I need to see a schematic. I still dont see why the need for 3 relays....

OH WAIT! I'm an idiot LMAO my high beams are unaltered.... the 3rd relay is for the high beams. DOH!
It's for the 4-Hi mod - or a diode is needed. Sketch what's required and it becomes obvious in seconds. The 'third' relay is the one that lets the low beams come on with the highs.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
nypytu5e-jpg.258263

I got some time to quickly draw up a schematic for the heavy duty Headlight harness with and without 4 hi mod, using the 2 relay method and the 3 relay method.

This is a quick drawing on my phone so excuse the poor lines. Will make it better once I make sure this work.

I think if I can get a good line on materials I will start making these. As an Electrician I can get some pretty good deals on all of this.

Any input on the drawings is appreciated.

4 hi harness (3 relays)
You must be registered for see images attach

No 4 Hi

I may have the green and brown backwards to what they are on the truck, but it's irrelevant. The stock connector is obviously male, so there would be a new male connector there. The new connector at the bulbs is male.

All black line is to ground. Red is 12v+ DC from battery, with a 20 or 30 amp in line fuse shown in blue.

I found these schematics, mine is much simpler. no idea why or how these are wired like this.

oh well mine have been wired up for years with no problems. but I guess theres more than one way to get things done.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I found these schematics, mine is much simpler. no idea why or how these are wired like this.

oh well mine have been wired up for years with no problems. but I guess theres more than one way to get things done.
That's done differently from mine - I don't use outputs from 87 terminals to switch.
I have one designated relay for low - wired as you'd expect. Then the high beam signal going to the other two relays' coils (86 or 85) and the outputs to high and low beams from each relay separately.
The outputs of the two relays for low are tied together but not their (signal) inputs.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score

ya man. 4 high and low beam mods. I have even made my own harnesses and removed all of the oem wiring. I also use the fender and the "cold air funnel" to conveniently run the wires right to the headlights.

I drew a schematic years ago but I have no idea where it went but it is as simple as it can be.

I added new wires for the high beams but they are otherwise OEM. they are not running off a relay.

2 relays, 1 is for low beams only and the other is for turning the low beams back on with the high beams.

no idea why or where a diode would even go in my system.

AHHHH.......
ok Now I understand your system and the need for the diode......

thanks for that explanation.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

ya man. 4 high and low beam mods. I have even made my own harnesses and removed all of the oem wiring. I also use the fender and the "cold air funnel" to conveniently run the wires right to the headlights.

I drew a schematic years ago but I have no idea where it went but it is as simple as it can be.

I added new wires for the high beams but they are otherwise OEM. they are not running off a relay.

2 relays, 1 is for low beams only and the other is for turning the low beams back on with the high beams.

no idea why or where a diode would even go in my system.

AHHHH.......
ok Now I understand your system and the need for the diode......

thanks for that explanation.
You are only one (main beam) relay short of what I have. You could slot one in if you wanted without having to change anything.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's what I drew up for mine. I don't like using diodes, they're known to "bleed" and it's harder to troubleshoot too.