Who's the best 4L60E builder these days?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MekongMan62

Reaction score
What's y'all's favorite builder these days? Or is there any good transmission shops in Southwest Oklahoma or Northern texas?
Check out Precision Transmission in Amarillo, run by a guy named Rich

They’ve got a YouTube channel

I actually visited him in person kind of by accident a few years ago, guy blew my mind with all his skills and knowledge

I swear he could rebuild a 4L60 blindfolded and in the dark, and I’m not exaggerating

If you ever saw the movie Jiro Dreams Of Sushi, well Rich is basically the Jiro of transmissions

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He seems very competent, but I've seen a lot of other transmission builders critique the cleanliness of his build area. He only ever does tear downs, you never seem him assemble anything, so it's hard to critique him fairly. He's probably pretty good for the area, but if there was a Michelin star for transmission builders, I'm not sure he would make the list.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He seems very competent, but I've seen a lot of other transmission builders critique the cleanliness of his build area. He only ever does tear downs, you never seem him assemble anything, so it's hard to critique him fairly. He's probably pretty good for the area, but if there was a Michelin star for transmission builders, I'm not sure he would make the list.

Richard is extremely knowlwdgable from what Ive seen of his vids and I suspect he only showed teardowns on his channels because that's what drives views (I see it in my own YT - the few tear down vids Ihave vastly outperform all my other assembly and topical videos. I'lll be doing a lot more of them starting in the fall when it gets cooler out here (Vegas). I'm fanitical about cleanliness as most of us are.

His previous channel was shut down due to a falling out w/his son who did all the filming and technically "owned the channel" thus they shut it down.

He started a new channel, opened a new shop and is said to be up and running.

@R422b - feel free to call him to see if he's open for business and if he'll ship (last time i heard he stopped shipping transmissions due to logistics issues/customers not installing transmissions correctly damaging them, requiring them to be shipped back...

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I had mine rebuilt, I used a reputable local shop in Cleveland. I didn't switch the gears but I did go from a 7 vane to a 10 vane pump for more consistent pressure during shifts, a Corvette servo for firmer shifts, and a 12 clutch 3/4 pack. I noticed a huge difference right away. I built a new top end for the engine and updated the shift points a little when I tuned the engine.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of good stuff here, I know I'll need it eventually. Not sure how long the stock 4l60 will last behind the 383 that just went in. That's an interesting idea about the gear swap, I'd never realized that was much of an option. I still have it shifting at 4500, I'm afraid to change the weights out because I'm fairly sure that would kill it a lot faster.