Who's the best 4L60E builder these days?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just lost my three four clutches in my 4L60E and I'm trying to decide whether I should have the lightly used bow tie overdrives reman that I've got as a spare gone through by a rebuilder to make sure it's still good or just order up another reman from bowtie overdrives or some other company.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's y'all's favorite builder these days? Or is there any good transmission shops in Southwest Oklahoma or Northern texas?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've heard nothing but good things about Gearstar and Hughes, both are expensive though. You could probably get most of the way into a 4L80E swap for what a 4L60E from them would cost.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've heard nothing but good things about Gearstar and Hughes, both are expensive though. You could probably get most of the way into a 4L80E swap for what a 4L60E from them would cost.
Yeah I'm seriously contemplating an 80e swap. I already located a tuner (he's a customer of mine) so I would just need to find a drive line company and a few days off to do the job.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The other thing I've also been contemplating is doing a t56 swap. Because ultimately I really want a manual transmission someday I miss my manual and they are so hard hard to find anymore.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That last one was a sad entry in my maintenance log.
You must be registered for see images attach

TexasRebel

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The other thing I've also been contemplating is doing a t56 swap. Because ultimately I really want a manual transmission someday I miss my manual and they are so hard hard to find anymore.
T56 swap is the goal in my 96, but I'm also planning to swap to a 5.3. Problem is finding one that somebody doesn't want it's weight in gold for. I'm probably just gonna start with a 5.3 and an 80e and rock that until I can get everything ready to tear the whole truck down for a frame off build.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Well since I haven't heard anything super compelling talking me into trying a different transmission builder this time I decided to go ahead and use bow tie overdrives in Hesperia California again. They built me a transmission for my Tahoe in 2018 and I have since wrecked that Tahoe but saved the transmission so I'm going to send that transmission to them for a refresh since it's got about 40,000 miles on it since it was remanufactured and have them replace the input planetary with the sonax 2.84 one because I've always hated the one two shift on the 4L60E because it drops the RPM way too much.
I looked into what it would cost to swap to a stick shift and I'm not going to be able to do it at this time.