Who’s done snorkels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys. Wondering if anybody knows of a snorkel kit. Or has done the fabricating of one themselves. My truck goes anywhere but through deep water. Planning a Yukon Alaska overland trip and there are a lot of river crossing in my future. Thanks for the help guys.

1998 GMC Sierra k1500
You must be registered for see images attach

1BigCarrot

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've helped a couple mates fabricate them out of 4" PVC drain pipe - bit rangi but it works though.

I prefer them made out 4" SS pipe - looks way betterer; could use exhaust pipe if that is all you have/can afford.

Local engineer fabricates them like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Nice truck and welcome!

It looks like you know your way around a shop. I would personally build your own like the post above, you know it'll be done to your liking that way.

Also, you probably already know but a snorkel doesnt do anything if your electronics gets wet so seal them up really well!

Roy Dykens

Reaction score
Also, you probably already know but a snorkel doesnt do anything if your electronics gets wet so seal them up really well!

I was thinking about a snorkel but I figured the distributor is lower than the air filter so I didnt waste my time. I dont think the engine eating water is gonna be the weak link when it comes to river crossings.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I was thinking about a snorkel but I figured the distributor is lower than the air filter so I didnt waste my time. I dont think the engine eating water is gonna be the weak link when it comes to river crossings.

I was thinking the same thing.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I believe distributors get sealed or waterproofed in some manner, for those that actually use them. A snorkel is not a new concept. Driveline vents would also need to be re-worked.

daveluke34

Reaction score
I believe distributors get sealed or waterproofed in some manner, for those that actually use them. A snorkel is not a new concept. Driveline vents would also need to be re-worked.
Dielectric grease under cap

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
You are going to want to extend the vent tubes for both differentials and the trany to a height that will keep them above the water. The dip stick will also have to be made water tight and the oil fill cap on the valve cover will have to be checked to make sure it does not let water in.