Whipple SC throwing belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey guys. I have a 96k3500 with a 454 and a whipple supercharger. For some reason it keeps throwing the belt at high rpms. I can't seem to figure out why. Any help you can provide would be awesome.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like either...

The belt ain't at the right tesion (as mentioned above)

Or

Its the wrong (to long) belt for the application

Or

One or more of the pulleys are not running true (straight) to the others..

sent from what use to be a great country...

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe the belt is tight. is it possible that its too tight? And if the pulleys are running straight, how to i address that?

Sounds like either...

The belt ain't at the right tesion (as mentioned above)

Or

Its the wrong (to long) belt for the application

Or

One or more of the pulleys are not running true (straight) to the others..

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take a few side pics(from both driver and passanger side)and head on pics and post them up... that way we can all see what you may have going on..

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Having bought and installed a used whipple kit on a 454, and after having belt slipping, squealing, throwing and tooth jumping problems i can assure you the pulley alignment needs to be damn new dead on. The way the brackets and the supercharger mount it's very hard to get it aligned visually. I tried for months and months and kept having problems.

Do yourself a favor, buy this and properly align the pulley and install a new belt.
https://www.amazon.com/Gates-91006-Serpentine-Belt-Alignment/dp/B000WYFI1A

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Having bought and installed a used whipple kit on a 454, and after having belt slipping, squealing, throwing and tooth jumping problems i can assure you the pulley alignment needs to be damn new dead on. The way the brackets and the supercharger mount it's very hard to get it aligned visually. I tried for months and months and kept having problems.

Do yourself a favor, buy this and properly align the pulley and install a new belt.
https://www.amazon.com/Gates-91006-Serpentine-Belt-Alignment/dp/B000WYFI1A
I bought this and watched some videos. Its off however im not sure how to get it aligned. Ill send some pics this weekend when im back home.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
The supercharger itself only have some adjustment, not much can be had. On my truck I shimmed the idler pulley with washers and the crank pulley with a set of crank spacers I bought online. I have mine within a 1/2 of tooth of a pulley between them and it works fine now.