where can i get my ignition module and ecm tested

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big RED Burban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
hello i have a 95 c2500 350tbi and its running horrably i ran the diagnostic and it gave up code 42 which is ignition control module or ecm failure i have already checked the wiring all the way from the distributor to the ecm and its fine. my question is do any of yall know where i can get my ignition module and ecm checked? PS i am located near lexington SC. thanks

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Most auto parts stores can test your ignition module. Have them run it through several times until it gets nice and hot. If the guy doing it knows what he's doing he'll avoid touching the metal plate underneath it because it can quickly get hot enough to really burn you. If it still passes after that, it's *probably* good, though it's never a 100% accurate test.

The ECM's and PCM's used in the GMT400 series trucks almost never, ever goes bad. So you can pretty safely file that one extremely low on the list of suspects.

Richard

Big RED Burban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks i know the ecm almost never goes bad so i thought it was the ignition module so i replaced that with a brand new ac delco unit and i still have the problem. thats why i think it might be the ecm and i want to have it tested because ecms are expensive and i dont want to just throw parts at it. i have heard that napa will check modules but when i called the local napa store they said they cant and i doubt the local autozone could