Whats up my chevy peoples

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Alright back with another one for yall didn't really know where to ask this but alight I have a 1994 k1500 k5 blazer swapped a gen 6 454 in now I'm looking to see if any one would have an idea on how to swap a 8.1 in a 1994 chevy or if anybody has done it how hard it is and how long wiring would take been looking everywhere but nobody has a break down reason I'm looking at doing a 8.1 just like the old school 496 with the modern fuel system want to get away from tbi and it would be wayyy different in a k5

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Alright back with another one for yall didn't really know where to ask this but alight I have a 1994 k1500 k5 blazer swapped a gen 6 454 in now I'm looking to see if any one would have an idea on how to swap a 8.1 in a 1994 chevy or if anybody has done it how hard it is and how long wiring would take been looking everywhere but nobody has a break down reason I'm looking at doing a 8.1 just like the old school 496 with the modern fuel system want to get away from tbi and it would be wayyy different in a k5
I think member @yevgenievich has a '99 2 door Tahoe with the 8.1; he may be able to answer your questions. Probably a couple other members with 8.1 in a 400 experience, but he's the first one that comes to mind.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
8.1 has poor aftermarket support. Stuff is available, but it's expensive. Can't really use non-8.1L cylinder heads as the cooling holes and three of the head bolt holes are repositioned.

Cylinder block is taller and wider. Same deck height as the old "Truck" 366 and 427s--10.2".

No distributor, so you'll need an ignition system (or entire ECM) that will fire coil-near-plug. Also OEM is throttle-by-wire. Either you change the throttle body, or you change the gas pedal and use the 8.1L ECM and wire harness.

Uses a different firing order than older Chevys. Same as LS--so the cam is different, and the injectors and ignition coils have to be wired to match the new firing order.

Cast aluminum oil pan that's wider than Gen 6 pan, a person hopes there's clearance to the crossmember and 4WD system.

All the bolt holes are metric. Most are in the same position as the other big-blocks, but metric threaded.

Neutral-balanced flywheel/flexplate.

Last edited:

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think member @yevgenievich has a '99 2 door Tahoe with the 8.1; he may be able to answer your questions. Probably a couple other members with 8.1 in a 400 experience, but he's the first one that comes to mind.
I believe @L31MaxExpress has 8.1
I went with 8.0l in burban and ls in the tahoe. Overall 8.1l is a good swap and if could find a good one likely would use it. But ran across tall deck 8.0l that keeps gen6 parts and made for somewhat of an easier swap. Except wiring and ecu

Reaction score
8.1 has poor aftermarket support. Stuff is available, but it's expensive. Can't really use non-8.1L cylinder heads as the cooling holes and three of the head bolt holes are repositioned.

Cylinder block is taller and wider. Same deck height as the old "Truck" 366 and 427s--10.2".

No distributor, so you'll need an ignition system (or entire ECM) that will fire coil-near-plug. Also OEM is throttle-by-wire. Either you change the throttle body, or you change the gas pedal and use the 8.1L ECM and wire harness.

Uses a different firing order than older Chevys. Same as LS--so the cam is different, and the injectors and ignition coils have to be wired to match the new firing order.

Cast aluminum oil pan that's wider than Gen 6 pan, a person hopes there's clearance to the crossmember and 4WD system.

All the bolt holes are metric. Most are in the same position as the other big-blocks, but metric threaded.

Neutral-balanced flywheel/flexplate.
So would it be easier to just get my gen 6 7.4 built and bored out ?

Reaction score
I believe @L31MaxExpress has 8.1
I went with 8.0l in burban and ls in the tahoe. Overall 8.1l is a good swap and if could find a good one likely would use it. But ran across tall deck 8.0l that keeps gen6 parts and made for somewhat of an easier swap. Except wiring and ecu
So what about building my 7.4 to a 502 stroker or something...what kind of fuel system did u you use ?