What years had quad GLASS sealed beam headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do they sell a harness for the quad 4 glass headlights for the 4 high mod?

93chevyluvr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was also wondering the same thing since I am in the market for this halo headlight kit for my 93

Attachments

• 46DBC73F-82FF-4E19-A0D6-45BD178C9840.jpeg
    46DBC73F-82FF-4E19-A0D6-45BD178C9840.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 15

DennisT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
MOUNTIE....., thanks for your, "88 4-HI," pics. So those are the glass sealed beams.... Are/were you happy with light improvement? Would you go the same way again? Sufficient road lighting???? That's my only choice besides backing up to W/T single large sealed beams.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like so many of you, am dealing with headlight improvements. My 1996 GMC SLE K1500 needs to shed it's composite headlights in favor of actual glass sealed beams of some kind. I really don't want to go back to the late '80's base model two headlight front end. Yet, I'd also like replaceable bulbs in those glass envelopes. So from reading a LOT of posts and doing searches, am I close in thinking that 1998 and 1999, (ONLY), offered Quad, glass headlights? (As in: four separate glass sealed beams-2 high-2 low.)
And, if so, is the grill in those 2 years unique to that front end? (Read: if I found quad glass front end lighting I better get the grill too because it's the only one that will fit?????)
Thanks, Dennis

Dennis, you are all over the place.

Let's try to straighten you out.

You stated that your truck is a 1996, that makes it a gmt400 /obs.

Generally speaking: Gmt400 is 1988-98 (SUV's were still available in 99 & 2500/3500 were available through 01).
The pick-ups (excluding the crew cabs) changed to this body style in 1988, while the SUV's & crew cabs changed to this body style in 1992.

Gmt400 crew cabs & SUV's never left the factory w/ mini-quad headlights. Except for the Holden Suburban in Australia.

Mini-quad headlights were only available on the 88-89 reg & ext cab pick-ups.

The bulbs themselves are the same as those used on other GM vehicles from 87ish-97. The mounting brackets are vehicle specific. The mini-quad units are all glass units. When they die, you replace the dead glass rectangle w/ a new one.

The mini-quad headlights use specific plugs. So changing to any other headlight design requires the plugs to be changed.

You currently have composite headlights. They are plastic. They are ok when clean/clear & craptastic when cloudy/yellowed. The composite units use the 9005/9006 bulbs.

LMC truck sells glass mini-quad units that use the 9005/9006 bulbs, so no need to change the pigtails. But you will still need to source the mini-quad mounting brackets & buckets.

There are 2 styles of the Chevy & GMC grilles.
WT (work truck) used a 5x7 headlight.
Everything else used Mini-quad/composite headlights.

The year styles are: 88-93 & 94-98.

Mini-quad headlights will fit both year styles of the GMC grille & only fit the early year style of the Chevy grille w/o modifications. The later year Chevy grille will require some creative shaving to fit w/ mini-quad headlights.

If you live in snow states, avoid led headlights unless the units are heated. Unheated units never get warm enough to keep your headlights from being iced over.

Swapping to a WT grille & headlights is another option & opens up more headlight options.
Will require the headlight harness to be swapped out. Just get the full harness from a similar year truck. It unplugs @ the firewall.

I have a custom built Escalade headlight harness w/ 89 mini-quad headlights & 00 Z71 fogs in my 99 Chevy Suburban. This was all done prior to the LMC units being available.
This past summer I got a set of the LMC units & both the headlight & foglight harnesses (they are separate in a Z71 & combined in an Escalade/Denali) from a 00 Z71. I just haven't installed them yet.

Insert Quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was curious. This is a Wagner H4703, The only part numbers I could find on the bulb was stamped H4703 (same as printed on the housing). I haven't taken the H4701 apart yet but it appears to be a similar setup except the bulb and hold down screw in the H4701 are turned 90 degrees, and the bulb in the H4701 is all clear without black on the top of the bulb.

Attachments

• IMG_20211107_091048436[1].jpg
    IMG_20211107_091048436[1].jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 14

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dennis, you are all over the place.

Let's try to straighten you out.

You stated that your truck is a 1996, that makes it a gmt400 /obs.

Generally speaking: Gmt400 is 1988-98 (SUV's were still available in 99 & 2500/3500 were available through 01).
The pick-ups (excluding the crew cabs) changed to this body style in 1988, while the SUV's & crew cabs changed to this body style in 1992.

Gmt400 crew cabs & SUV's never left the factory w/ mini-quad headlights. Except for the Holden Suburban in Australia.

Mini-quad headlights were only available on the 88-89 reg & ext cab pick-ups.

The bulbs themselves are the same as those used on other GM vehicles from 87ish-97. The mounting brackets are vehicle specific. The mini-quad units are all glass units. When they die, you replace the dead glass rectangle w/ a new one.

The mini-quad headlights use specific plugs. So changing to any other headlight design requires the plugs to be changed.

You currently have composite headlights. They are plastic. They are ok when clean/clear & craptastic when cloudy/yellowed. The composite units use the 9005/9006 bulbs.

LMC truck sells glass mini-quad units that use the 9005/9006 bulbs, so no need to change the pigtails. But you will still need to source the mini-quad mounting brackets & buckets.

There are 2 styles of the Chevy & GMC grilles.
WT (work truck) used a 5x7 headlight.
Everything else used Mini-quad/composite headlights.

The year styles are: 88-93 & 94-98.

Mini-quad headlights will fit both year styles of the GMC grille & only fit the early year style of the Chevy grille w/o modifications. The later year Chevy grille will require some creative shaving to fit w/ mini-quad headlights.

If you live in snow states, avoid led headlights unless the units are heated. Unheated units never get warm enough to keep your headlights from being iced over.

Swapping to a WT grille & headlights is another option & opens up more headlight options.
Will require the headlight harness to be swapped out. Just get the full harness from a similar year truck. It unplugs @ the firewall.

I have a custom built Escalade headlight harness w/ 89 mini-quad headlights & 00 Z71 fogs in my 99 Chevy Suburban. This was all done prior to the LMC units being available.
This past summer I got a set of the LMC units & both the headlight & foglight harnesses (they are separate in a Z71 & combined in an Escalade/Denali) from a 00 Z71. I just haven't installed them yet.
Yup x2. Great info

DennisT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mars2878, yes, "you're awesome." Great workup of truck information. Thank you. While I realize the best option range follows the 5x7 W/T sealed beam front ends, I still struggle with the appearance and cost. It will have to wait - maybe pending brain re-set. Meanwhile, at the wrecking yard yesterday, along with some factory audio stuff I got I came home with a set of the 88/89 mini-sealed beams. Cost me near nothing, so I got them to save them and to, "study." It only took a 10mm socket and 10 minutes to pull. Donor truck had no grill, so getting the lamps, buckets, socket connectors and backing plate all came out as a unit easily. Have no idea if there should be any other parts I would need to put them in my truck in place of my composites. I've always been a wrecking-yard addict so it's hard for me to pass up things. (disease) But I'm building options. Since my truck will be inside a lot this winter I guess it would't take that long to try them. I do plan to install a relay actuated power feed for any headlight option I ultimately settle on using large gauge wire. Not sure the LMC relay/harness kit has good enough connectors and wire size. I was thinking 12ga. strand.