What type of rims are on your truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
New here, so forgive me for jumping right in...

I have questions on my Dad's 97 C1500 Silverado Extended Cab, which is my next project.

It needs all the maintenance (and who knows what) from sitting, but it is straight and rust free...

The bottom line Mama wants me to bring it back from sitting since his passing five years ago.

I recently acquired a cherry staggered set of 80's 15" truck rally wheels, complete with trim and hardware. Two are 15 x 8's and two are 15 x 7's.

I had the set blasted and they now are off to be powder coated in argent silver and clear.

I see some have recommended 245/60/15 and 275/60/15's and that sounds good to me.

I'd like to run the caps and trim rings too.

The biggest difference I can find is the lug nuts are 14mm on Dad's truck, and 1/2" on the 80's stuff... so is it as simple as using a new set of 14mm Lug Nuts with these older rally wheels?
Make sure the lug nuts seat into the taper.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
New here, so forgive me for jumping right in...

I have questions on my Dad's 97 C1500 Silverado Extended Cab, which is my next project.

It needs all the maintenance (and who knows what) from sitting, but it is straight and rust free...

The bottom line Mama wants me to bring it back from sitting since his passing five years ago.

I recently acquired a cherry staggered set of 80's 15" truck rally wheels, complete with trim and hardware. Two are 15 x 8's and two are 15 x 7's.

I had the set blasted and they now are off to be powder coated in argent silver and clear.

I see some have recommended 245/60/15 and 275/60/15's and that sounds good to me.

I'd like to run the caps and trim rings too.

The biggest difference I can find is the lug nuts are 14mm on Dad's truck, and 1/2" on the 80's stuff... so is it as simple as using a new set of 14mm Lug Nuts with these older rally wheels?
I'm kind of surprised to see a couple of the responses to this but they are just watching out for your safety. It's well-known that the squarebody Rally wheels fit GMT400's just fine. Yes, the squarebody trucks use 1/2" studs and the GMT400's use 14mm. A simple swap to the 14mm lug nuts is all you need.

The original center caps on the squarebody wheels bolt to the wheel and have a fairly large hole around the lug nut. This allows for pretty much most designs of lug nut to be used.. the only real spec to worry about besides 14mm is that they are 60° conical seat, which 60° is the overwhelming majority of the conical seat lug nuts - in fact it's difficult to find anything else when looking at conical seat.

Here's some 15x8 squarebody Rally's on a 1993 C1500, using GMT400 beveled-style trim rings, Astro van center caps, GMT400 external thread lug nuts and the 1990-1991 style deep shoulder black plastic lug caps (needed to hold the Astro center caps on; the regular 1992-up black plastic lug caps don't have enough reach for thread engagement.)

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Tires are 275/60/15 all the way around, for anyone that might ask.

Richard

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
@BowtieJC What size tires you running? Look like stock size, but checking to be sure. I'll have to buy tires for mine, before I lower it. Previous owner put oversize tires on.