What to change while I have the steering wheel off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MIKE BROGDON

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I have an issue with my turn signal lever (1994 K1500 W/ Cruise control). All of the functions work fine, however when I signal a left turn, I have to apply a large amount of downward force to engage it, and even slightly turn the wheel to the right before it will catch. After I have made my turn, I have to manually disengage it by pushing the lever up. When I make a right signal it works just fine.

That being said, next week I am replacing the current wheel with a Grant challenger and will have access to it. I have done research and have narrowed it down to one of three things. The white cam inside of the steering column, the stalk itself, or the turn signal return springs.

Has anyone ran into this issue or can shed some light on which three of the parts I need so I can have it when I do my steering wheel swap? Thanks in advance.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
It's the steering wheel straight when the wheels are straight? Hope that makes sense, I'm stupid tired. I'm wondering if someone didn't get it lined up right if the steering shaft was ever out of the steering box coupler.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the screws that mount the combo switch and the combo switch itself for cracks. It is always worse for left turn because people are heavy handed pushing down rather than up on the lever. The cam wouldn't be the problem unless the steering wheel isn't straight and the return springs are just that they won't cause a binding issue.

MIKE BROGDON

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dr Zoom, I understand, trying to get through nightshift myself. But my steering wheel seems to be dead on with the alignment of my front wheels. But i will check double check to make sure the shaft is aligned.

Skylark I will forsure look into that as well. If the screws holding the stalk itself are causing a crack to the mount, then the correct action would be to replace the stalk itself right?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dr Zoom, I understand, trying to get through nightshift myself. But my steering wheel seems to be dead on with the alignment of my front wheels. But i will check double check to make sure the shaft is aligned.

Skylark I will forsure look into that as well. If the screws holding the stalk itself are causing a crack to the mount, then the correct action would be to replace the stalk itself right?
Correct action yes. I have used super glue in cracks and wedged screwdrivers around it to keep cracks closed up while the glue dried.

MIKE BROGDON

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright that sounds like a winner. Il snap some pictures of my findings when I take the wheel off