what rear end is in my truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan243

Reaction score
i have a 90 silverado 2wd std cab long bed , and this thing wont move in the rain so i was going to look into a lsd or mechanical locker, but not sure what rear end i have. any info would help, thanks

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
RPO code for the axles (and more) is in the glove box.

You can look it up anywhere on line by googling "RPO codes"....

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Also should be a tag on the rear providing it hasn't rotted or been taken off . I know my last 2 were 3.42 gears . But if its a 1/2 ton and not a 454ss it will have a 8.5 in it .

Normally, yes.

But I've seen weirder things come out of GM's big doors. It's taught me over the years to not make "absolute statements" about this sort of stuff.

That's why I go to the RPO codes first (if I'm not looking directly at the truck).....

:)

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Also should be a tag on the rear providing it hasn't rotted or been taken off . I know my last 2 were 3.42 gears . But if its a 1/2 ton and not a 454ss it will have a 8.5 in it .

that's wrong a lot of 1500s came from the factory with 14b sf show me a pic of your rear end ill tell you which one it is