What is the best exhaust for a 92 4.3 v6?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treyes

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can y'all give me y'alls opinion on the best exhaust from headers to tips to make my v6 sound decent and keep it budget friendly I'm in high school with little money for the truck.
(1992 c1500 rwd swb with a 4.3 v6 completely stock.)

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Look at summit racing they offer a 3 inch cat back. Should be more the enough that your 6 will need. Beside that get shorty headers good Y pipe. Hi flow cat or no cat.

Epic

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a flowmaster fan since I was in high school myself (not sayn how long ago that was lol). I think they have the smoothest, but still aggressive sound, but for a V6 I'd prob stick w the 50 series. There really isn't much in between if you go lower and imo, anything more aggressive will only amplify the V6 tone. I'm assuming that's probably what you're after?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Best sounding and budget friendly may not go together unfortunately. The majority of exhaust systems I've heard on stock 4.3Ls are not great sounding to be honest. With that out of the way, it is possible to make them sound good. My red truck has the 4.3L and I run Pacesetter shorty headers (Do not buy for a 4.3L, they take modification to fit. Doing it again I'd go JBA or Gibson), Magnaflow Y pipe/cats and a Gibson single 3" cat back kit. I've had several people compliment me on the sound and a few surprised looks when they found out it was a V6 truck.

Mike96c1500

Reaction score
A V6 is going to sound like a V6....I don’t think you can get that low throaty grunt of a V8. IT won’t be the “bees buzzing” sound of a 4 banger, but won’t be the sound that most are after.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A V6 is going to sound like a V6....I don’t think you can get that low throaty grunt of a V8. IT won’t be the “bees buzzing” sound of a 4 banger, but won’t be the sound that most are after.

You can to some extent. It's never going to sound the same once you get over 3000 RPM or so though. At lower RPMs you can get pretty close. I could post an idling video of my red truck but I don't think the microphone in my cell phone would do it justice.