What have you towed lately

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd be happy with 10, or at least happier than with 8 or 9. No, I don't have a trans temp gauge, and haven't yet looked into installing one. I suppose I need to do that.
I'm content with my mileage, but I'd be willing to sacrifice it for more power. I'm planning on building a new modded 454 and a built 4L80E along with regearing to 4.10s; I just want to comfortably tow at 65-70 and the truck just won't do it now between mechanical issues and electronic issues.
Sold this camper, it was heavy asf, dry weight was right around 6K but it probably weighed more than that. Most of what I'm looking at now are Travel-Lite/Super-Lite toy haulers or sundowner style enclosed trailers that are all waaaaaay lighter.

Attachments

• PXL_20220505_150506882.jpg
    PXL_20220505_150506882.jpg
    644.4 KB · Views: 10

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm content with my mileage, but I'd be willing to sacrifice it for more power. I'm planning on building a new modded 454 and a built 4L80E along with regearing to 4.10s; I just want to comfortably tow at 65-70 and the truck just won't do it now between mechanical issues and electronic issues.
Sold this camper, it was heavy asf, dry weight was right around 6K but it probably weighed more than that. Most of what I'm looking at now are Travel-Lite/Super-Lite toy haulers or sundowner style enclosed trailers that are all waaaaaay lighter.
Yeah, that camper looks like a beast. I'm looking into a temp gauge now, and wondering where to mount it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

This CCSB is pretty peppy compared to the duallies, yours should drag a camper no problem. You need to get after your gremlins before building a motor that'll act the same way once fitted to whatever the problem is. And 6000# isn't heavy, my enclosed is over 5000# empty. Bumper pull campers in general are pretty light.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This CCSB is pretty peppy compared to the duallies, yours should drag a camper no problem. You need to get after your gremlins before building a motor that'll act the same way once fitted to whatever the problem is. And 6000# isn't heavy, my enclosed is over 5000# empty. Bumper pull campers in general are pretty light.
Most of the gremlins are as a result of the motor itself in the truck, I think I've got a bad intake leak that only opens up after the motor's good and warmed up. The transmission issue is the internal harness and a servo issue. The red truck has it's moments where it'll run like a scalded dog. Gears and tires are a big killer right now.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, that camper looks like a beast. I'm looking into a temp gauge now, and wondering where to mount it.

Best option is to weld a bung into the stock pan, I have my gauges on the A pillar.

You must be registered for see images attach

The bung is welded on the inside, sealed on the outside with JB Weld. The gauge on this truck is much more responsive than the gauge on my 1500 where I put it in the test port. I need to weld a bung into that pan as well.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best option is to weld a bung into the stock pan, I have my gauges on the A pillar.

The bung is welded on the inside, sealed on the outside with JB Weld. The gauge on this truck is much more responsive than the gauge on my 1500 where I put it in the test port. I need to weld a bung into that pan as well.
What would you say average temperature reading difference from pan to test port?
I know it’s skewed a bit between the 2 different trucks, but they are both 4L80’s.

Last edited:

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That makes sense. I like the pillar gauges. Once again, I wish I knew how to weld.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mine is in test port, and super easy install. I’ve read it reads about 15° cooler than pan. So, I guess keep that in mind.