What have you towed lately

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pulls fine with no problems at all but the loaded trailer is a hair over 3k lbs. Brand new trailer so i was a little worried about the front being higher causing it to fishtail.
I do want to get a little bit of a drop hitch so the trailer sits level. Maybe 4in drop would be close i think.
Also put THESE blue 6ft retracting straps on it. Awesome. Bolted down and nuts tack welded will make them secure as heck and a attached ramp is also a big +
The old trailer had no ramp so had to have two single ramps to load from the side and the back and 8 straps that were always a tangled mess when it was time to leave.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Pulls fine with no problems at all but the loaded trailer is a hair over 3k lbs. Brand new trailer so i was a little worried about the front being higher causing it to fishtail.
I do want to get a little bit of a drop hitch so the trailer sits level. Maybe 4in drop would be close i think.
Also put THESE blue 6ft retracting straps on it. Awesome. Bolted down and nuts tack welded will make them secure as heck and a attached ramp is also a big +
The old trailer had no ramp so had to have two single ramps to load from the side and the back and 8 straps that were always a tangled mess when it was time to leave.
Yes you probably could fix that tip-up in the front with a 4" drop mount(if what you have now is a 2" drop, that's what it looks like). I'm going with that before I tow again with my one ton.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes you probably could fix that tip-up in the front with a 4" drop mount(if what you have now is a 2" drop, that's what it looks like). I'm going with that before I tow again with my one ton.

You could tow that U-Haul trailer on 4 flat tires and still be in control with a CCLB 1 ton. Not to poo poo you levelling it, but you're definitely not in any danger with a sub-optimized setup when you have that much truck.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
You could tow that U-Haul trailer on 4 flat tires and still be in control with a CCLB 1 ton. Not to poo poo you levelling it, but you're definitely not in any danger with a sub-optimized setup when you have that much truck.
Yes I figure the truck's size and length were helping make it more stable. I just have always been told that a trailer is supposed to be slightly lower in the front, so I want it sitting like that....

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a B&W 4" stow and tow drop hitch and it's barely low enough; I'll probably compensate with an adjustable hitch on the trailer tongue down the line.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pulled our 27' camping trailer a couple of times now, and heading out for our third trip at the beginning of June. Trailer is ~5200 lb. dry.
Seems to handle it just fine.
Currently getting 8 to 9 mpg towing in 3rd gear.
Now that I've discovered (rtfm) that I can tow in 4th gear, I'm hoping gas mileage will improve.

You must be registered for see images attach

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pulled our 27' camping trailer a couple of times now, and heading out for our third trip at the beginning of June. Trailer is ~5200 lb. dry.
Seems to handle it just fine.
Currently getting 8 to 9 mpg towing in 3rd gear.
Now that I've discovered (rtfm) that I can tow in 4th gear, I'm hoping gas mileage will improve.

You must be registered for see images attach
My truck managed to eek out 10 MPG pulling my travel trailer, I was cruising at 65 though through the coastal plains though.
Do you have a trans temp gauge or anything like that to monitor heat?

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck managed to eek out 10 MPG pulling my travel trailer, I was cruising at 65 though through the coastal plains though.
Do you have a trans temp gauge or anything like that to monitor heat?
I'd be happy with 10, or at least happier than with 8 or 9. No, I don't have a trans temp gauge, and haven't yet looked into installing one. I suppose I need to do that.