What CFM efan(s) would be right for a vortec 7.4 bb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have scowered the threads and cant really find much about what is a good CFM for a big block. It seems like most the threads are talking about the 350 and Im not sure what, if any, the difference is in the cooling needs of the 350 vs. the 454. I have seen a guy selling the dual fan setup off of an 05 impala with the shroud for 40 bucks but I dont want to pull the trigger until I have a better idea of what cooling I would need. My climate is up to 100 or so in the summer and in the winter is usually 30 to 40 degrees but can get around 0 or so.

Thanks!

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why do you want to get rid of the clutch fan? You can't beat the cfm of a clutch fan.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have just read a lot of posts here with good results. I'm not dead set on it by any means but if it gave me a mpg more or less noise then I would give it a try.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's gonna take more than an impala fan to keep a big block cool. It's gonna take a powerful high cfm fan which most vehicle on the road today don't have

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I figured that might be the case since most efan stuff I found on here was for small blocks. Thanks for the help!

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You would be surprised. Not a lot of people trust the electric fans to be honest. I would stick to the tried and true clutch fan for a daily driver. If your looking for mpgs. It's time to sell the 454 bb

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haha! I don't actively seek more mpgs because it's a lost cause. It will never get good mileage

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright atleast that's determined! If you are looking to free up some hp and mpg, I recommend cai or free flowing exhaust

Big2500Red

Reaction score
Cia is a even bigger waste of money. Full length headers/full exhaust is the way to go.