What are thes high performance parts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan1raysouth

Reaction score
I stole this pic from ig. Does anyone knows what’s going on here it’s the first time I’ve seen an L31 like such. Is that cold air intake idk? I want to know?

Attachments

• 5A053854-45A3-4761-8916-26C34A935E6D.jpeg
    5A053854-45A3-4761-8916-26C34A935E6D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 102

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like a supercharger and intercooler to me.
X-2 supercharger on the driver's side mounted sideways, with some kind of intercooler on top of the intake. Looks custom made to me.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
The black ribbed thing is a screw type supercharger and the shiny thing on top is an air-to-water intercooler to cool the air inlet temp.

Compressing air (supercharger/turbo) heats the air up and cooling it back down means a more dense air charge into the engine for more power and it also makes it less prone to engine destroying detonation.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The black ribbed thing is a screw type supercharger

Screw type or Roots?

My knee-jerk was Roots, but perhaps out of ignorance. The case looks like it's designed for two rotors.

WAIT, I think I answered my own question. Intake is at the rear, outlet is on the bottom toward the front. Screw.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Good question! Screw type. The inlets and outlets give it away.

A Roots has the inlet and outlet 90 degrees from the centerline of the rotors.

A screw type has the inlet and outlet parallel to the rotor centerline (kinda sorta).

A screw supercharger compresses the charge front to back in the supercharger case itself and the Roots just pushes it through where it is then compressed in the manifold.

The screw is more efficient and doesn't heat the air as much but I don't really understand why.:secret::Frustrated:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stole this pic from ig. Does anyone knows what’s going on here it’s the first time I’ve seen an L31 like such. Is that cold air intake idk? I want to know?

Am I seeing things?

Wiper motor (and wipers) removed, pulling intake air from the cowl?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Am I seeing things?

Wiper motor (and wipers) removed, pulling intake air from the cowl?

I see what appears to be a cone filter of some sort peeking out from behind the intercooler on the passenger side, and what could be part of a clamp on the black "hat" apparatus on the driver's side. Intake tube squeezed between the intercooler and the firewall maybe?