What and how many miles a year do you tow with your Gmt400?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I typically tow this 10-15,000 miles per year with my '99 k2500.

I see many who put together these trucks as a project, use them as daily drivers, winter beaters, plow trucks, local camping trip haulers, etc.. Other than Supercharged and I, I don't see many (at least that post often) who use these trucks to tow much.

Who is out there doing it?

You must be registered for see images attach

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a concrete contractor and use my 1992 dually 454 to tow up to 20k bumper pull often. Not my favorite towing vehicle, but the handling and ride is fantastic.

*Edit* To answer your question, I put about 4k miles last year towing like this. All my work is in-town stop and go.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
We tow a U Haul enclosed utility trailer a few times a year, to swap meets and car shows, with my Burb. One trip last year was across Houston, Texas and back, probably around 100 miles over the weekend. Burb had some load but most of our stock and fixtures were in the trailer, didn't get it scaled but I figure somewhere around 600 pounds of stuff plus whatever the single axle 5'x8' trailer weighs. The other show we go to in the spring is in Austin, Texas ,and last year we took the single axle trailer instead of the double axle one. Probably closer to 1500# in the trailer and 700# in the Burb cargo area, loaded properly with the heaviest stuff ahead of the axle. Around 400 miles round trip. In 2018-19, we towed a double axle trailer, with a ton of stock and fixtures, plus our personal gear and some merchandise in the Burb. We also went to and from Lafayette, Louisiana with a similar load and trailer in October 2018, with this Burb, about 450 miles round trip.
And weight doesn't include the 3 of us in the truck! This year we may take the crew cab with a trailer, and some stuff in the bed(tables and parts that won't mind getting damp). Depends on the weather and if both trucks are still behaving themselves....
Burb got 13-14mpg on the road, hauling; it'll be interesting to see if the big truck can do that too. Same engine....
First pic is after load-out in Austin, getting ready to head to the motel. Second is heading to the Houston swap meet, across town, third is getting ready to head up to Austin. Half ton Burb and notice it's only leveled! Towed great, both trips.

Attachments

• IMG_20220424_001211.jpg
    IMG_20220424_001211.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 10
  • original_3fb170ec-3657-4bb9-9cc0-d0bba6e3bc9f_IMG_20220421_153039.jpg
    original_3fb170ec-3657-4bb9-9cc0-d0bba6e3bc9f_IMG_20220421_153039.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20220311_161418.jpg
    IMG_20220311_161418.jpg
    679.3 KB · Views: 10

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Burb got 13-14mpg on the road, hauling; it'll be interesting to see if the big truck can do that too. Same engine....

Your big truck might not get that good of mpg. Same engine, but much beefier trans/dif, etc.. I typically get 7 mpg pulling that camper, but it seems more about wind drag then weight.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never had a trailer hooked up to either of my trucks. Where do I turn my man card in? :ban:

I bought the C2500 so I’d be able to haul things if needed. It’s nice to see these trucks doing work.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never had a trailer hooked up to either of my trucks. Where do I turn my man card in? :ban:

I bought the C2500 so I’d be able to haul things if needed. It’s nice to see these trucks doing work.

Ha - No need to turn any man cards in, but keeping one of these able to haul trailers cross country is a whole different ball game!

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha - No need to turn any man cards in, but keeping one of these able to haul trailers cross country is a whole different ball game!
Gotta ask, why do you choose this truck for this task? I know you know there are newer and more efficient options, what is it about your 400 that makes you want to use it for this?

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gotta ask, why do you choose this truck for this task? I know you know there are newer and more efficient options, what is it about your 400 that makes you want to use it for this?

2 reasons:

1. Easy/cheap to work on.
2. I try to only buy vehicles that will hold steady or appreciate.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

I feel compelled to answer this too: newer stuff is more expensive to buy and fix. These trucks are cheap enough to buy cash and never be chained to a payment. In the event of a motor or transmission failure I'm not out nearly as much money as I would be on something newer, maybe $1000 tops for parts to rebuild a trans, a little more for a motor. Mine are rot free, so I don't have that holding me back. You can buy a lot of gas for what you save in a truck payment that, for most folks, never ever goes away.