What all goes into an EGR delete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How can you reburn anything? Once everything combustible has burned it won't burn anymore....

And mid-90's Gm engines were 100% efficient were they? All it actually does is cool the combustion temps slightly to reduce NOx (Or at least so I'm told) :shrug:

jarede525

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well there are not emissions tests for state inspection here.

I just don't see how much benefit dumping exhaust back into the motor would give.

But I'm not an expert so I have no idea.. haha

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Well there are not emissions tests for state inspection here.

I just don't see how much benefit dumping exhaust back into the motor would give.

But I'm not an expert so I have no idea.. haha

Technically you need to have your emissions system intact to pass inspection even in the safety only counties in Texas. So that means they could fail you if they wanted to for deleting your egr.
The egr system is actually something they make you point out on the practical portion of the state inspector test.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Just register your truck in Alaska. BOOM. lol

I am doing it because I can get headers for my truck for half the price of ones with EGR stuff on it. Plus since I am already getting a tune, might as well get it all tuned.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
And mid-90's Gm engines were 100% efficient were they? All it actually does is cool the combustion temps slightly to reduce NOx (Or at least so I'm told) :shrug:

In certain instances they also increase fuel economy, but in a lot they hurt it. Not to mention the carbon deposits...

But as far as your theory of burning the access gas in the exhaust, think about that... You're not getting a complete burn so you're gonna add more fuel? Right...

Its all Co2 going in there, meant to fill the chamber space.
~Via Mobile

brockstar15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The EGR valve opens when it encounters back pressure from the car's exhaust and channels it back into the combustion chamber. One thing it does is to make the fuel warmer. Warm fuel heats up more efficiently and therefore produces more miles per gallon. Once the EGR valve senses that the engine is warm enough, it redirects the exhaust elsewhere to prevent the engine from overheating. The emissions targeted by EGR come from nitrous oxides that are produced at very high temperatures. By mixing the car's exhaust with the intake air, the amount of oxygen in the mixture is reduced and its combustibility is also decreased, which causes the fuel to burn at a lower temperature. In most EGR systems, the exhaust is also cooled before it's mixed with the gas. Therefore, fuel mixed with exhaust burns cooler and less likely to produce N2O. The lower temperatures also help fuel economy. With fuel less prone to detonation, the programmers who write the software timing routines for modern engines have more control over the precision of the engine's timing. The lower temperatures also help to avoid heat transfer energy losses, meaning that more of the car's energy goes into providing power for its wheels.