What all goes into an EGR delete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And mid-90's Gm engines were 100% efficient were they? All it actually does is cool the combustion temps slightly to reduce NOx (Or at least so I'm told) :shrug:

No they aren't, but it's also only taking exhaust gases from one bank of the engine, in the opposite direction of the way the gases want to flow (path of least resistance) through a rather small tube an then into the actual valve that is even smaller.

An I don't see how exhaust gases that are 7-800* (guessing here, idk exactly what a gas engines egts are) can cool an intake air temp of at most 150*. These engines don't have an egr cooler like a diesel does. I personally don't see where deleting it would hurt anything. Mines going away someday.

In 2003 I believe even GM found a better way an dropped the egr systems on the 4.3l....

Last edited:

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
This is Quoted from Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EGR_valve said:
In internal combustion engines, exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) is a nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions reduction technique used in petrol/gasoline and diesel engines. EGR works by recirculating a portion of an engine's exhaust gas back to the engine cylinders. In a gasoline engine, this inert exhaust displaces the amount of combustible matter in the cylinder. In a diesel engine, the exhaust gas replaces some of the excess oxygen in the pre-combustion mixture.[SUP][1][/SUP] Because NOx forms primarily when a mixture of nitrogen and oxygen is subjected to high temperature, the lower combustion chamber temperatures caused by EGR reduces the amount of NOx the combustion generates (though at some loss of engine efficiency).[SUP][2][/SUP] Most modern engines now require exhaust gas recirculation to meet emissions standards.

[h=2]EGR in spark-ignited engines[/h] The exhaust gas, added to the fuel, oxygen, and combustion products, increases the specific heat capacity of the cylinder contents, which lowers the adiabatic flame temperature.
In a typical automotive spark-ignited (SI) engine, 5 to 15 percent of the exhaust gas is routed back to the intake as EGR. The maximum quantity is limited by the requirement of the mixture to sustain a contiguous flame front during the combustion event; excessive EGR in poorly set up applications can cause misfires and partial burns. Although EGR does measurably slow combustion, this can largely be compensated for by advancing spark timing. The impact of EGR on engine efficiency largely depends on the specific engine design, and sometimes leads to a compromise between efficiency and NOx emissions. A properly operating EGR can theoretically increase the efficiency of gasoline engines via several mechanisms:

• Reduced throttling losses. The addition of inert exhaust gas into the intake system means that for a given power output, the throttle plate must be opened further, resulting in increased inlet manifold pressure and reduced throttling losses.
  • Reduced heat rejection. Lowered peak combustion temperatures not only reduces NOx formation, it also reduces the loss of thermal energy to combustion chamber surfaces, leaving more available for conversion to mechanical work during the expansion stroke.
  • Reduced chemical dissociation. The lower peak temperatures result in more of the released energy remaining as sensible energy near TDC (Top Dead-Center), rather than being bound up (early in the expansion stroke) in the dissociation of combustion products. This effect is minor compared to the first two.
It also decreases the efficiency of gasoline engines via at least one more mechanism:

• Reduced specific heat ratio. A lean intake charge has a higher specific heat ratio than an EGR mixture. A reduction of specific heat ratio reduces the amount of energy that can be extracted by the piston.
EGR is typically not employed at high loads because it would reduce peak power output. This is because it reduces the intake charge density. EGR is also omitted at idle (low-speed, zero load) because it would cause unstable combustion, resulting in rough idle. The EGR valve also cools the exhaust valves and makes them last far longer (a very important benefit under light cruise conditions).[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
Since the EGR system recirculates a portion of exhaust gases, over time the valve can become clogged with carbon deposits that prevent it from operating properly. Clogged EGR valves can sometimes be cleaned, but replacement is necessary if the valve is faulty.

[h=2]EGR implementations[/h] Usually, an engine recirculates exhaust gas by piping it from the exhaust manifold to the inlet manifold. This design is called external EGR. A control valve (EGR Valve) within the circuit regulates and times the gas flow. Some engines incorporate a camshaft with relatively large overlap during which both the intake valve and the exhaust valve are open, thus trapping exhaust gas within the cylinder by not fully expelling it during the exhaust stroke. A form of internal EGR is used in the rotary Atkinson cycle engine.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
EGR can also be implemented by using a variable geometry turbocharger (VGT) which uses variable inlet guide vanes to build sufficient backpressure in the exhaust manifold. For EGR to flow, a pressure difference is required across the intake and exhaust manifold and this is created by the VGT.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
Another method that has been experimented with, is using a throttle in a turbocharged diesel engine to decrease the intake pressure, thereby initiating EGR flow.
Modern systems utilizing electronic engine control computers, multiple control inputs, and servo-driven EGR valves typically improve performance/efficiency with no impact on drivability.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
In most modern engines, a faulty or disabled EGR system will cause the computer to display a check engine light and the vehicle to fail an emissions test.

jarede525

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's it I'm going to delete the egr from my truck as soon as possible. Check engine light is constantly on, doesn't run very good, went and had it checked at the dealer he said it might be the wrong egr, which it's not. Just sick of messing with it. It's gotta go

jarede525

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a heads up I figured out what the problem was. Apparently the MSD brand replacement egr's have a different electrical wiring than a stock one does which screws everything up. Went and cleaned the hell out of my stock one and put it back on, problem solved.

brockstar15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a heads up I figured out what the problem was. Apparently the MSD brand replacement egr's have a different electrical wiring than a stock one does which screws everything up. Went and cleaned the hell out of my stock one and put it back on, problem solved.

Glad everything is fixed bud!!!