Well a new to me 97 drop spring issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmedero78

Reaction score
Hey guys I just picked up a 62k mile truck from an elderly man in my neighborhood. I ordered the DJM 4/6 drop kit and am having an issue getting the front springs to sit in the lower control arms correctly. I called tech support at DJM and they said to just ride with it and they will "pop" in place. Well no go and the angle that they are off is a lot. I read that this is a common issue but have yet to find a proper "fix" for installing them.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. I will load some pics to help out with what Im talking about.

You must be registered for see images attach

jmedero78

Reaction score
i set the spring in the upright pocket and once the lower arm gets moved into place this happens.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I get the upper end of the spring centered around the steel fingers(as I call them) in the spring pocket, and then bring the LCA up to meet the bottom of the spring, then index the spring in to the LCA pocket correctly then bring the LCA and spring up with a big floor jack, never had an issue doing it this way.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
I would have use drop spindles and left the control arms and suspension stock. Shackle the rear to level it. Better ride if you used air springs.

But your talking to a guy that designed his suspension around a air ride (air springs) system and added 4wheel ABS with master shut off and front line locks for the drag strip and help with hills when clutching.

Let me know what you decide to do. But I bet you if you lift the truck on jackstands and use your floor jack under the control arm. Take the ball joint loose and then lower the control arm slowly. You then can reach in a seat it. Using the jack to slowly bringing it into position and reconnect the ball joint. Then have it realigned. Make sure you use new bushings and check your ball joins while your there. Don't what to tear it down twice.

jmedero78

Reaction score
Black water that was the method we were using. I ended up taking it to a shop and they had a much stronger spring compressor. Got them installed correctly and installed new shocks and bushings. While at it had a new set of billet specialties daggar g's with toyo tires installed. Love the way she's looking now on to the list of other things to do.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
Black water that was the method we were using. I ended up taking it to a shop and they had a much stronger spring compressor. Got them installed correctly and installed new shocks and bushings. While at it had a new set of billet specialties daggar g's with toyo tires installed. Love the way she's looking now on to the list of other things to do.

I'm always gone over seas on assignment so I am not around to fiddle with them. I'm looking into air springs. One because it's a smoother more stable ride and two I can lower it enough for people to get in and have a low stance for daily driving and raise it to factory and keep the truck level while towing and hauling.

Already designed it out. Just need the money. I may do it when I upgrade the front suspension to the air springs and do the rear later. When I get back state side I'm going to pick up the motor first then continue research on the front conversion. Couple more measurements to do and collect the parts. Good thing about knowing the guys at oriley's is I can call them on the phone and ask them to mesure different parts. Hell I walk in they ask me which vehicle. I say the 93. They ask parts or R & D. Then they ask what year is the part?

They know the base is 93 1500. Transmission is 2004 3500 manual. Rear diff is 92 2500LD with locker. Clutch is 98 3500. The second tranny is Gearvendors. This is so far what the changes are. I have about $9K in changes. I want to start working on my engine soon.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
BTW, Good looking truck. Mine needs paint. I'm leaning towards candy cobalt blue with SIERRA GS in candy apple red on the door. GS stands for geared and stroked. I'm stroking a LQ4 engine to power it. Looking for 600hp at the fly. Happy with 550 hp. But, 600 sounds cooler.

merc64

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to this same install over the next few weeks. Hopefully, I won't run into the same problem but if I do looks like I'll be getting a heavy duty spring compressor to make the job easier. Nice looking truck!