welders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nuke

I go by the name Matt
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a welder. What is a good unit for me to learn on? I mostly want it for use around the house. I would like a 115V.
I mainly want it because I'm getting tired of drilling everything.

Nuke

I go by the name Matt
Reaction score
Is the Hobart Handler 140 a good unit?

unstable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a hobart 125 or 135...can't remember...what i liked about it was I didn't have the money to throw for the gas regulator stuff to begin with and they sold it seperately so it helped my budget.

A buddy of mine who is a professional weldor also owns a 125 or 135, he said it's a great unit. I'm a computer guy by trade but I would say to go with a hobart, lincoln or miller, although I believe that hobart and miller are the same company now.

the 125/135 and I'd imagine the 140 aren't going to be capable of handling really thick metal, so make sure whatever you get that it can handle whatever you are planning on welding. Next, the flux core wire is ok for crap jobs but it's not optimal for even learning really good because it's messy. If you can afford it, go for the solid core with shielding gas kit...don't forget gloves and hood as well.

I'm not sure if it still exists but hobart had a pretty good official forum.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love my Millermatic 211 w/ Autoset. Best welder I have ever bought. Gives you the option to run on 120 or 230V and lays beads like buttaaaa. Not bad priced either.
You must be registered for see images

Nuke

I go by the name Matt
Reaction score
I did some research and picked up a Victor oxy-acetylene cutting and welding kit today. I heard that it is the best way to learn for a beginner, and the process is very similar to GTAW(TIG) welding, so if I ever decide to learn to TIG weld, the step will be less difficult. Also it was the cheapest full kit sold at Tractor Supply Co. Another thing is if I get the right sized tips, I can weld up to 1/4", which is the same as a 115V MIG.