Weird Intermittent Fuel Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yfz450jrc

Reaction score
I'm running into a weird intermittent fuel delivery issue on my 1994 GMC Yukon. Can anyone help?

I replaced my rusted gas tank with a new gas tank and fuel pump.

It was running fine in the garage, but when I pulled it out, it stalled. I tried starting it but the fuel pump wasn't kicking on. So, I replaced the fuel pump relay and everything seemed fine. I pulled it back in the garage and it died.

I am able to to disconnect the battery for 60 seconds and the fuel pump will start working again for several minutes. After a few minutes running, it then dies again and the fuel pump wont kick on again unless I disconnect the battery for 60+ seconds.

Is my new fuel pump and or fuel pump relay faulty? Is something causing my relay to have problems? Perhaps a bad ground or wiring problem?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Multiple potential causes. Loose connections would be high on the list.

IF (big IF) this is traceable to the fuel pump relay, you've also got a fault at the oil pressure switch, because the oil pressure switch should bypass the relay when the engine has oil pressure.

Yfz450jrc

Reaction score
Multiple potential causes. Loose connections would be high on the list.

IF (big IF) this is traceable to the fuel pump relay, you've also got a fault at the oil pressure switch, because the oil pressure switch should bypass the relay when the engine has oil pressure.
Thanks. Would it make sense to replace the oil pressure switch for good measure?