weird electrical w/ gauges and turn signals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok never had this one happen today, never seen it on anything else either.

went out to the truck today, my 88 k1500 started it up, did fine, running, hit the parklight switch, or headlights I forget which, but when we did the battery gauge and fuel gauge installed bottomed out and both signal indicators lit up. Trck kept running never missed a beat, once the lights were off the gauges went back up and the indicators went off. Well w/ no lights on then turning on the turn signals the battery hand would flick, everytime the turn signal would click and light in dash the gauge would drop and then go up.

We drive down to lowes, about 5 miles or so, maybe 10, no issues, starts back up fine, 2 different times, drove home no issues, checked my battery and charging system with my tester, load tested the battery, battery not running had around 13 or 13.5 volts, runnign it has 14-14.5 or so. Load tested it as directed and it showed kinda weak.

I go back in and try the lights again, and it still does it, shut em off, try em, still does it, shut truck off, try em, and it does the same thing it has been as above, then all of a sudden the battery hand goes up, and the lights go off in dash, parklights work as they should no indicators lit up, no drop in the gauges, tried it off and on several times, worked fine.

Seems weird to me, very weird.

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have seen this before and the fix was a loose connection at the starter and still would never know it cause it would start everytime. The charging system was not complete with a loose wire connection. Plus check all grounds at the fuse blocks and maybe even upgrade them by now they may have corosion at some point. Best of luck!

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no doubt, lol this thing is having ALOT of electrical issues lately gonna have to clean or redo pretty much everything it looks like, maybe new battery cables, grounds etc.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the ground on inside of front fender, can't remember which side its on but it will cause wome weird issues with the lights if it is broke or loose.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
grounds are tight, starter connections are tight, fuse is good, taillights all work.

no clue what this is, maybe bad headlight switch? or connection at the license lamp?

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my buddy is having the same problem with his 1990 k1500 his dash lights and tail lights dont work but everything else does and every now and then when he turns his turn signal on the a/c control pannel flicks on and off with the signal.

he has replaced headlight and dimmer switch and checked all grounds.. no idea if you figure it out let us know

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine all work. it's just the indicators light up when the lights are on and the battery hand and fuel gauge drop to zero.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I know this is a dead thread, but I need to find the cure.

I am having the same issues EXCEPT my park lights and turn signals keep blowing fuses and my brake light fuse blows If i turn on the Hazzard lights.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I've been through all of my splices and grounds, pulled back loom and cannot find and burnt or split wiring. I'm leaning towards the headlight switch or tail light circuit board. I don't just wanna throw money at it though...